engine doghouse

thejupiter2

Cadet
we are restoring our 78 tri-hull and building a new doghouse and gunnel (sp) walls. I was thinking of using marine grade plywood for this so I don't have a rotting issue. Is this a good idea? thanks:)

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer
Re: engine doghouse

You could go all out and make the doghouse out of stainless steel and marine board like I did so it will never rot! I believe you will still need to seal the marine grade plywood to prevent rotting.

IMG_0256.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

3/8" or 1/2" Exterior grade plywood is good enough. The KEY is to make SURE to give it a minimum of two coats of epoxy resin, Before painting or covering it. This will seal it from any water penetration an ensure it does'nt rot for YEARS. Marine Ply and Exterior ply use the same type glue. Price is WAY different.

:D

Good Luck

wilsontowing

Cadet

Here is a pic of some 50year marine wood after 10years.. Just something to think about..

Attachments

• boat resto bad.jpg
    boat resto bad.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 1

thejupiter2

Cadet

EEK!! that looks suspiciously familiar like what I ripped out and hauled to the dump...so where does one buy the epoxy resin, Home Depot or similar ? also was going to use same marine grade for front cushion seats and back seats next to engine house.....and what about 3/4 " for dog house to help cut noise, was also going to put the foil insulation stuff on dog house too...thanks for all the answers....my weekend project is coming together

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Epoxy you pretty much have to order. Many members here have had great experiences with U.S. Composites. I don't think I'd go 3/4" on a dog house. Too much added weight.

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got mine at West Marine (store or on-line).... I then found a local source in the form of a fellow who specializies in just transom replacement.

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

for most of your rebuild 1/2" exterior plywood will be sufficient just make sure that it is well sealed with resin/fiberglass if necessary. Marine grade wodd is free of voids but not waterproof. I does have waterproof glue. Exterior grade plywood will do the same but much less expensive.
1/2" is good for seats/doghouses/stringers etc. 3/4 usually gets used in the transom to get the proper thickness. Good luck.... tink

oops!

Supreme Mariner

don't want to rain on anybodys parade or anything.

but this is just a dog house. the heat from the motor will dry it if if gets wet... just regular ext grade plywood covered with upholstery will last for over 10 years if it is minimally taken care of.

my doghouse lasted well over 5 years and still is strong as can be. "ell i use it as a step to get into the boat now.

if you are really worried, you can just paint the wood before you upholster it....that will buy you another 5 years.

understand....this is assuming you have a trailer boat that will not be left in ocean enviroments ofr years at a time.

build it out of epoxy.....and you will have a 500 doghouse before you know it.

cheers
oops

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with oops as the heat will dry it out. I have read where some seal the outside and the inside isn't so it "breaths"...

erikgreen

Captain

My old one I built from sections of 1/4" ply and glassed it over with epoxy... it weighs about 75 lbs with carpet on it. No problems with rot even though I drilled holes in it.

Since I want a different shape for one now I'm going to probably mold one out of fiberglass later this spring. I'll make a quick female mold from MDF, then wax the inside and glass. Once pulled from the mold I'll put some structural reinforcement on the inside and sound dampening insulation. If I'm ambitious I might even build it with a polypropylene honeycomb core for lots of stiffness plus sound dampening.

In short, build it any way you want. The doghouse is a perfect first boat project because it's hard to go wrong safety wise - the worst that can usually happen is that it looks bad. Experiment.

Erik

BrandonS

Seaman Apprentice

What would be the safest way to go about making a sun deck over the motor? Material-wise that is. Thickness, bracing, coating, ect.

Brandon