engine cranks really hard

basspirate

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have a 1979 evinrude 140. i'm trying to troubleshoot a spark problem on the engine.i know i need a strong crank to test the components. recently it has been really hard to crank. it almost gives the feel of too much compression. i.e. it will give one really strong turn then one slow turn. i have a fully charged battery. i've hooked up a 75 amp start battery charger to the battery connections and checked the battery connections as well as the connections to the starter, solenoid and grounds. i've checked the key switch with a test box and i still have the same problem. i tried to jump out the solenoid but too many sparks are flying and the wire gets too hot too quick. this leads me to believe its either the starter or solenoid. is there a way to test the solenoid or starter.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: engine cranks really hard

1st you need to use a remote starter switch, connected to the incoming battery cable, and to the small post with yellow/red wire. no sparking. $10.00. if you battery cable are original, they are probably corroded inside, and that creates resistance, thus the starter does not get the power it needs. you would be surprised what a new set of cables will do.

any starter, alternator shop, can test the starter.

Attachments

• remote starter switch.jpg
    remote starter switch.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 0