engine coupler adjustment 120 horse mercruiser

jeff13601

Chief Petty Officer
I just put the motor back in my boat and have no idea how to align the motor with the outdrive. Can anyone try and explain?

vipzach

Lieutenant
Re: engine coupler adjustment 120 horse mercruiser

I think you need to buy the alignment tool, someone will be along that can give you part number. From what I understand it is a biatch to do without it.

Trent

Captain

You need the alignment tool and you adjust the engine up or down in the front of the engine. The alignment tool should slide in real easy. Put grease on the tool.

Wotknot

Petty Officer 1st Class

FYI.....hint....Being that older eyes ain't what they used to be, when viewing that site if you'll do a 'print preview' it'll make it easier to read.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sure hope you got all the right parts in the right places for the rear mounts, and they are in good condition, or there is no way you can align it.<br /><br />Basically, you raise and lower the front of the engine to align the coupler to the gimbal bearing. Without the alignment bar, there is no way to do it. This shows how the alignment bar is used.<br /><br />
Alignment.png

jeff13601

Chief Petty Officer

I was very careful taking out the rear mount bolts. I am going to look today and see if anyone local rents them. I doubt it though. Watertown is not the best place to find marine equipment. Im sure the alignment is way off as it was very difficult removing the outdrive. Do you know the cost of this tool if I have to buy one?

Don S

Heres one place you can get an Alignment Bar<br /><br />Being careful won't help if they were together wrong in the first place, or the rubber mount itself is bad.<br />Here is how they should be. <br /><br />
Merc%20rear%20mounts.png

jeff13601

Chief Petty Officer

I called our local mercruiser dealer and they dont even have the allignment tool. They told me they made one out of an old outdrive. Seems odd to me. You people that live where you can actually get what you want are lucky

tommays

Admiral

hey jeff<br /><br />even here on long island with a boat dealer on every corner you would eather have to make one or order it never seen a place thats rents marine tools<br /><br />i just had to get a set of new 10" trailer brakes shiped in you think they would be on the shelf but its pot luck<br /><br />tommays

Bondo

Staff member

I Spoke with Jeff when I got home from work,....<br />I'm going to loan him Mine........... :)

Wotknot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bondo......doesn't seem to be an instant graemlin for a 'thumbs up' but you at least deserve 1 attaboy. Now, for 2 attaboys, wanna loan me your boat for the Memorial Day Weekend?..... :D

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

Don't want to steal the post but is that 2 grease zirks (sp?) on the coupler in don s 22032 pic?<br /><br />DougV>

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

djvan<br /> the later style couplers can be greased. thats why the drive shafts added the third oring. however even though the fittings are there does not mean the drive should never be taken off nor that the fittings will be accesible in the hull. it also means people like me either had to modify our original tool or buy the new one.

Bondo

Staff member

Hey Jeff,.......<br /><br />I've been sitting here at the 'Puter since about 5:30 this morning,+ the 10 minutes I'm in the shower,.... You Knock on the Door.......<br /><br />Oh Well,...... I see you found the tool alright...... We'll talk later.......<br /><br />Good Luck........

Bondo

Staff member

Do I add another fibre washer in the mount?
I assume you're talking about the Rear Mount ?????<br />'Cause I don't remember any Fiber Washers on the Front mount.....<br /><br />NO,..... Assemble it Exactly like the pic. that Don posted.........<br /><br />All adjustments are done at the Front mount......

jeff13601

Chief Petty Officer

I had to bring the front of the motor up three sixteenth of an inch. Do I add another fibre washer in the mount?

Don S

I think he's sitting at his computer like this.<br /><br />
jawdrop.gif

Wotknot

Petty Officer 1st Class

AHEM!!! Bondo, you dodging my question? :confused:

jeff13601

Chief Petty Officer

Now that I have the motor adjusted I can fly my boat to Alaska and Don can show mw how to do the gimble bearing and drive seal kit. Might do a little fishing while Im there.