Engine controls

chdabren

Petty Officer 3rd Class
ok gang!! I'm sending up a flare here....I need help!!! I was gonna transfer my OMC engine controller/cables/switch etc...to my Starcraft. The controller came off my 17'footer and WAS going on my 19 footer. Two questions here...does it matter about the size of the boat (in my case 2 feet longer) in terms of the cables reaching the stern?. Please let me know about answers to my questions....thanks gang! I'm asking because this controller has had some plastic linkage inside of it break and has rendered it useless. The throttle handle will not move.

chris

EDIT; no buying selling or offering on the forum. TD

Attachments

• IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0534.jpg
    IMG_0534.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Engine controls

Most controls should have more than enough extra to make the 2 feet, but it couldnt hurt to measure. Im sure if you check ebay or craigslist.org, you will find a wide variety to choose from. Good luck.

D

DJ

Those controls are very common. They are all over ebay, etc.

Two feet is two feet. You won't know until you measure.

Please shrink your picture.

chdabren

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'd love to be able to post the proper size pics...however the photobucket thingy does not resize for u....I don't care what anyone says....second, the "control +v" thing doesn't work for attachments either...so unfortunately I can only send what pic sizes I have. If you have a better idea....speak up. Thanks!

Chris

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

irfanview.com is a great site with free software that can resize, etc. I use the software all the time. Mind you I found your photos not big at all. I would have preferred bigger!

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I'd love to be able to post the proper size pics...however the photobucket thingy does not resize for u....I don't care what anyone says....second, the "control +v" thing doesn't work for attachments either...so unfortunately I can only send what pic sizes I have. If you have a better idea....speak up. Thanks!

Chris

Off subject. Chdabren, have you been into your album selection and viewed your selection of pictures? If so there is options listed above each one of your pictures in photobucket and the edit option will allow you to resize and rotate the picture. I just went into mine just to clarify and yes you do have the option do change the size of the picture from avator (small) size to 160x120 to 320x240. Try it and see what you come up with.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The size of the boat doesn't matter - your old gear may fit and it may not, depending on the distance from the helm to the transom.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you can up load to a free service like photobucket.com then you choose the pictures you want( clik the little box at the bottom left of the picture) scrool to the bottom of the page, clik generate html, it will take you to the next page, scroll down to thumb nails clik on that and copy, then insert it into your post.

also if you are planing on posting pictures, you can use the Blue post reply or the go advanced, there you can upload directly from your computer. besure you pictures have been resized to fit the format. 640x480 max.

larger widens the page, then you have to scroll right & left to read the post. which is a pita.

chdabren

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok......let me say it for the 3rd time....I've got photobucket....have done all that has been suggested and....again......there is NO "edit" button there. I know about clicking the box and all that. I know that it copies pics after "image" has been clicked. I'm aware of all this. You mention "click and copy" thumbnails to the post...hmmm..interesting...all I get is these long rectangular boxes that have links in them for "recommend this for posting to forums" and such. NO THUMBNAILS!!! When I copy/paste to the post using "manage attachments" and I upload the pics from photobucket, it ALWAYS says..."files not valid" or "files too large"....gee.....what to do. So I just copy and paste them right to this box. Don't know what else to do. I'm doing just the way you all suggest...and it doesn't work. Until I find a better way, I will post pics the only way I am able. Thanks for all the help!
Chris

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I'm guessing on this but the shift and throttle cables should make a loop as they connect to the engine. The added two feet of boat may (note I said may) create a situation where that loop is too small so a hard right turn binds the controls. The only thing you can do is try it.

chdabren

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well now...don't I feel like the backside of a Missouri Mule after a good flushing of oats and water!!! lol. Not a pretty picture, I know but I had to use that to show u all how stupid I just found myself to be. I, after looking closer in Photobucket, did find the "edit" button, that LITTLE TINY HARD TO READ selection above the pics. I resized and went thru everything again. I figured out y it would not allow resizing. I simply didn't do it!!!! DUH!!! Then I found that box for thumbnails and didn't realize until AFTER I click "select all" with my mouse and THEN copied, that it copies all and posts all to here w/out using "manage attachments"....I successfully proved I'm a moron...lol. At least I was successful at SOMETHING in my life...hahaha. You gotta laugh this one off.....nothing else to do. Ok gang....hit me with the "I agree, u're an idiot" and "way to go moron" stuff and get it over with....lol. My bad!! Apologies to all!! Here's a fresh album (sort of a test run if u will). Let's see if it works!! Thanks for straightening me out!!

Chris

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Hmmm... I think you gotta keep trying! Your images are the same size as the thumbnails!

carpenterken

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The top set is better.
What I found on motor switching the control cable was long enough but, the cables had to be replaced.