Engine Compatibility

AC19Inquiry

Recruit
I have a 19 AristoCraft - '79 or '80. The engine is toast. Does anyone have any suggestions for some other motors that have worked in that hull if I can't track down that one?

Thanks.

matt167

Captain
The Nineteen's came with mostly Mercruiser 165's but pretty sure they had the 3.0L's as well. But they also came with OMC's

If it's a 165, you could convert a truck 250 CID engine with the marine parts off of yours. If it's a 3.0L, you can find one of those easy enough. If you have a Mercruiser but find an OMC engine, you have to swap the different parts over or vice verse. OMC and Mercruiser generally did use the same engines, except OMC used a buick V6 for a while as well as Fords. I've never seen a Buick V6 in a Nineteen though

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have a 19 AristoCraft - '79 or '80. The engine is toast. Does anyone have any suggestions for some other motors that have worked in that hull if I can't track down that one?

Thanks.
Welcome.

It would help if you told us what's in her now. Mine had a Mercruiser 120 HP GM 4 cylinder.

AC19Inquiry

Recruit
The Nineteen's came with mostly Mercruiser 165's but pretty sure they had the 3.0L's as well. But they also came with OMC's

If it's a 165, you could convert a truck 250 CID engine with the marine parts off of yours. If it's a 3.0L, you can find one of those easy enough. If you have a Mercruiser but find an OMC engine, you have to swap the different parts over or vice verse. OMC and Mercruiser generally did use the same engines, except OMC used a buick V6 for a while as well as Fords. I've never seen a Buick V6 in a Nineteen though
Thanks very much.

AC19Inquiry

Recruit
Also - might be a long shot but are there any electric options yet for something like this?

matt167

Captain
Also - might be a long shot but are there any electric options yet for something like this?

Short answer is no, but the long answer is, maybe.. There are marine electric conversions and some companies are building electric boats. But getting enough battery capacity will weigh a lot more than a fuel tank that could carry capacity for the same distance. So you would likely have to get a marine architect to make sure everything goes as it should to prevent submarining into davey jones locker

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
depends on how creative you are. there have been two electric conversions so far. the problem is you only get about 25 miles of use.

if you have a 165, you most likely have the in-line 6. you can swap over to a 4.3 V6 and save some weight.