Engine color codes- 62 Johnson “warm white.”

LuckDay

Cadet
In the car world every painted item has a paint code. You can take that code to either a body shop supply company or a good auto parts store that mixes and sells automotive paint and get that color made to spray - typically in a spray gun form. My personal choice is a Hvlp gun.

Is there a place to find the color paint code for Johnson outboards. I’d like to repaint my 62’ Seahorse 40 over the winter. All I can find is spray cans. They work but not like a real automotive finish- base coat clear coat. I sprayed it before with a spray can Johnson paint and tried Moeller also. But the longevity is just not there. It drys out in a year or two and gets chalky.
I will use either Transstar or DuPont.
Thanks!
Luckday

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Find-----nymarine-------He has paint in up to a quart size.----He has different materials.-----Peter knows paint and what you are looking for.

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
Any paint dealer can scan a part you bring in & mix up any product line color-matched.

LuckDay

Cadet
Find-----nymarine-------He has paint in up to a quart size.----He has different materials.-----Peter knows paint and what you are looking for.
Thanks- but I’m not looking for a new dealer for paint. I’ve had bad experience with shipping paint thru the mail and UPS. Just looking for the paint code if it exists. It has to some where.
Thank you again for your reply
Luckday

LuckDay

Cadet
Any paint dealer can scan a part you bring in & mix up any product line color-matched.
Tried this. I even tried to spray a fresh part with the spray can and for some reason this particular white Johnson uses comes out wrong. I even buffed up a part and let them scan it. It came out really green. Thank you for posting.
Luckday

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
Strange as it sounds white is very hard to match. Usually not a deal breaker if you're shooting the whole OB...

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Go to a reputable auto repair shop, and ask them to match the color. Go in with a motor part with the best preserved original paint (maybe the horn on the carb). The motor hood is fine if it has at least a part that still has excellent original paint. Tell the auto shop whether you want one-stage or two-stage paint, and let them shoot a sample that you can come back and review. One/single stage paint is easier to apply and requires no clear coat. (The clear coat, properly applied, often brings out the desired color in a two-stage paint.) You will need an approved mask (the charcoal type) in order to be safe.

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
Technically those motors are 2-tone, although you don't tend to notice unless you look.
The powerhead, midsection & lower unit are a dirty white called "French Silver", part # was 172744,
while the cowl is "Warm White" part # was 172750