Engine Change from Volvo (Chevy) 305 to 350

6meter

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Engine Change from Volvo (Chevy) 305 to 350

"One side of the motor was stronger, and caused the bearing to spin"..you're kidding, right???

Somebody is feeding you a crock.

And stuck #7 valves caused a main bearing to spin????????????
Sounds like the motor was fine. Your mechanics needed to do something at your expense. I might suggest to remove your boat and motor from that place. TODAY.
Sorry to say but your WHOLE story either sounds unbelievable or they took you for a VERY large long ride.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Opened up engine and found the #7 valves were not sealing. This caused the main bearing to spin. The cause was then due to one side of the motor having stronger heads

That is the dumbest excuse I have ever heard for a spun bearing. We are all a little dumber for having read it.

If your mechanic said "Well your bearing spun because you were running your engine at 1313 RPMs at the precise moment that Venus lined up with Jupiter, and any good boater knows that you shouldn't do that"

I would believe that before I would believe what he told you.

I know you are friends with this mechanic but you should get your boat out of there ASAP. He is the kind of mechanic that started the Bust Out Another Thousand stereotype...

maxum_man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I once had a mechanic tell me that my old 120 L Drive motor had spun a rod bearing, only to find out that my fuel vent in the top Carb was stopped up not letting it run right! Before I cleaned the carbs, he was gonna sell me a good used powerhead and install it all for $1000. Bust Out Another Thousand!

You arent taking your boat to a shop in Morehead KY are ya!?!