Engine Change from Volvo (Chevy) 305 to 350

scrdanis

Cadet
I have a Seaswirl Striper that has been nothing but a PITA with the motor for the past year. I love the boat but hate the motor. The problems have been repeatable in the #7 cyclinder mostly with the valves but the latest is the piston melted. I am looking at upgrading to a 350 motor but wondering if the 305 parts can be used on the 350 short block. Also is there a computer correction needed when the larger motor is installed?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Engine Change from Volvo (Chevy) 305 to 350

I am looking at upgrading to a 350 motor but wondering if the 305 parts can be used on the 350 short block. Also is there a computer correction needed when the larger motor is installed?

Ayuh,... You'll have to use a Long Block.... Ya can't use 305 Heads on a 350...

Donno if the 'puter will adapt...

Aloysius

Chief Petty Officer

If you're having problems with a 305, you'll have them with a 350..virtually identical engines. If you don't find the cause of the problem you're wasting your time.

What year? Type of engine? Type of engine management?

Bifflefan

Commander

^^^^^^^^^^^^That what I was going to say.^^^^^^^^^^^^

scrdanis

Cadet

What is in there now is an "06 5.0L GXi (fuel injected) volvo penta. The motor was just re-done for a 3rd time in 2 years and I am out of money for this season. I have access to the short block of a 350 without heads or a 400 that has heads. Just looking for the cheapest route in order to get in the water for next year.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

sounds like whoever is rebuilding the engine(s) is the one with the problem

granted the weight to power ratio on a 305 stinks, you are better off with a 350, but still, 3 engines in 2 years?? and you are paying for it?? is there no warranty on the rebuilds?? should be at least one year warranty!!

Aloysius

Chief Petty Officer

Agree with dubs. Pretty hard to kill a small block Chevy, unless you're running it full throttle, or the rebuilds are junk.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Uncross your #5 and #7 plug wires and dont run it lean. #7 is always the first to melt down. It normally runs a little lean on perfectly tuned SBC engines...

dubs283

Vice Admiral

Uncross your #5 and #7 plug wires and dont run it lean. #7 is always the first to melt down. It normally runs a little lean on perfectly tuned SBC engines...

agreed, but unless the map is completely off in the ecm, the engine should be running with the proper amount of fuel at the injectors - even if a sensor is out of whack, the ecm will compensate as best it can to keep the engine running well - and in any case i can't see the ecm shortening the pulse width, it usually increases allowing more fuel through the injectors

with #5 and #7 wires crossed, one would notice runnabilty lagging, even, as stated, with the ecm compensating for best performance, you would notice the WOT off at least 200 rpm

Aloysius

Chief Petty Officer

Since these engines don't have an O2 sensor, they depend on the map (not the map sensor) for ignition advance and injector pulse width. I'd guess the inputs are TPS, rpms, temperatures, and the MAP sensor on these engines. If the fuel pressure is low, the mixture will be lean, and with no O2 to compensate for it.

Just speculatin'......

dubs283

Vice Admiral

yep, but if the fuel mixture is lean enough to the point where damage is occuring to the piston/valves (detonation), the knock sensor would kick in and the ecm would compensate

in any case, the rebuilder should have checked the fault codes as the first step in troubleshooting the issue with the original engine problem, not to mention the next two times they rebuilt it

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

May be a good idea if you tells us what is happening to your engines. Everyone seems to want to go for lean running, but it may very well be water intrusion causing the problem. But without knowing, everything above is just speculation.
Volvo uses different ECM's for 5.0 and 5.7.

scrdanis

Cadet

Here is what's happened starting last season. The motor wasn't running good so changed the plugs to start and noted the plug to be fouled with rust. Oonce apart it was found that the valves in the #7 cylinder were siezed and that cylinder was not running. The even side cylinders were fine and the odd side head was cleaned and the exhaust manifold was found to havea gasket leak between the manifold and riser. This was all corrected and but back together. ran the boat and then lost oil pressure. Opened up engine and found the #7 valves were not sealing. This caused the main bearing to spin. The cause was then due to one side of the motor having stronger heads and the damage was done.
The motor was stripped down, the short block went to a shop NC to have the bearing changed and block freshened up. In the mean time, I had both heads re-conditioned to make them equally strong and the manifolds on both sides had signs of wear and deterioration, they wear replaced or both sides. Every thing ran well after that and boat was put away till this season. Completed normal un-wintering, chaged the plugs and found water evidence on the #7 plug, brought it to the shop. This was caught early enough and there was no severe damage and the gasket was found to be the culprit on the #7 side again. This was corrected. And plugs checked, no more water.
A couple months ago the motor started "hunting" when placed in idle and would go from 800-600 rpm occasionally and not repaeatable. Could not find a problem or cause, had shop run codes and found nothing. They thought it was the electrical system and said the altenator was the problem. Bought new one as it was the original and the out put was a little lower than used to be but the new one didn't fix anyhting. I took apart the wire harness of the engine, which looked fine but some of the pins shifted when I took them apart, nothing broke from the wires just moved from teh plu connection. I cleaned it up and put a small amount of conductive grease in the reciever and the problem was gone and the motor was strong and smooth. I took it out and Dad commented that the boats running nice and smooth. The next day we went out and the motor started to sound funny with a loss of power 3/4 of way home. Shut it down and was towed in. Did a compression check on the motor and had nothing in the #7 cylinder, brought to shop. I hear now, haven't spoke to them yet, the motor is apart and out of the boat. #7 piston is melted and am not sure the condition of the head. I do not run the boat WOT and rarely above 4000 rpm.
So now I am just looking at options. I do not know what they will say or do for me yet at the shop. I have access to a long block 400 (with heads) and a short block 350(without heads) if I don't hear anything positive from the shop. The guys at the shop are family owned and friends or mine for several years. I have sent friends and family there and they have bought boats. I don't know.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When you changed the manifolds on the engine, did you replace the risers also? OEM or aftermarket?

Aloysius

Chief Petty Officer

"One side of the motor was stronger, and caused the bearing to spin"..you're kidding, right???

Somebody is feeding you a crock.

scrdanis

Cadet

Yes risers replaced also, both were aftermarket, Sierra I believe.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

400 will not go in using the 305 manifold unless modified. 350s normally do not like the combustion chambers on 305 heads. I would find what is messing up #7 before I do squat It will happen again with the next engine regardless if not fixed.

scrdanis

Cadet

Not seeing any codes in the computer, not sure what is going on. I know I used to like going off-shore but now I'm afraid of going out period. Don't have a problem geting 350 heads if that's the direction I go, just trying to see what will be needed if another motor is used. Pro's and con's and obstacles that will need to be addressed.
Any suggestions in what to look at? The computer histroy is no help. What are some possible causes ?

Aloysius

Chief Petty Officer

Those primitive computers won't tell you much.

305/350 have different bore, so combustion chamber are sized for the appropriate engine.

Find someone competent to help you..someone that won't feed you crap.