Engine change for OMC Cobra

jc9668201

Recruit
If I wanted to just buy a car engine and drop it into my boat (1990 sunbird) which currently has a 3.0 gm 181cid L4 with an OMC Cobra outdrive, what would I need to be able to match the car engine up with that outdrive...how would i know whether it would fit or not?? please help!

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Engine change for OMC Cobra

To begin with, marine engines have a bunch of different parts than auto engines (cam, headgaskets, freeze plugs, fuel pump, starter, carb, circulation pump and tons more) so you first would have to change all those items out. Then there are other items that will give you fits...I think the exhaust ports are different but not sure.<br />Used marine 3.0 liter 4 bangers are for sale pretty cheap everywhere - I think it's because they are so darned strong they outlast most boats they are installed in.<br />Why not just buy the correct engine and forget about the auto idea?

jc9668201

Recruit

I'm in NC....can't find ANYTHING for I/O around here....everyone just uses outboards.....looked all over for marine engines and can't find any.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Try ebay and have it delivered to you. Marine engines have marine parts. If you don't want to blow up your boat and send yourself sailing in the air, I'd advise not to go the car engine route. Starters, solenoids, carbs are all designed to keep your boat spark free and you alive!

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

That 3.0L was never a car motor. It is an industrial block made in Mexico and used on air compressors, fork lifts, those older small mail carriers, and stern drives. If you are thinking of the Pontiac and Nova motors from years gone by, those were different. The 153 cu.in. Chevy 4 banger was used for some of the early 120 hp I/O's in the 60's and '70s.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You're only one state away from me. Can't understand why you aren't surrounded by dealers selling i/o's like we are.<br /><br />Go to some local boat stores and pick up several local marine magazines. In my area, there are usually some for free by the entrance doors. All these local boating publications have ads for engine rebuild/replace shops. Contact some of them and you're on your way.<br /><br />These engines have been made for decades and many, many places sell both new and rebuilt ones.