Engine Bogs down at High RPM

ssuajk

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 25, 2003
Messages
72
My Force 125 (1987) seems to run great at about 3600 rpm but then if I go higher it starts to sputter most of the time it is on a bump or wave. I feel the motor starving for fuel and surging, again mostly on waves(bounce). The compression is good, new inline fuel filter, decarbed(seafoam), stabil in gas during winter. I did have 1/4 tank of 2 yr old gas then added 3/4 tank of fresh gas to 40 gal. tank. I was wonder if gas was bad wouldn't it do it all the time, why at above 3600rpm?
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: Engine Bogs down at High RPM

Have heard this story before, likely is fuel system related.<br /><br />Does the fuel bulb pump up firm?<br /><br />Does it stay "full", or does it collapse after running the engine a while?<br /><br />When was the last time the fuel pump diaphram was replaced?<br /><br />Have you inspected the fuel lines from the fuel pump to the carbs, for cracks or leaks that could be sucking in air when engine is run at higher rpm?<br /><br />Have the carbs been rebuilt?<br />Possible that the floats are set too low or the valve is not fully opening to allow gas into the carb.<br /><br />Also check the fuel pickup tube in the gas tank for dirt or obstruction.<br /><br />Let us know what you find.
 

ssuajk

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 25, 2003
Messages
72
Re: Engine Bogs down at High RPM

No bulb to ck<br />40 Gallon internal tank, to fuel filter to fuel pump.<br />Pretty hard to get to the fuel pickup<br />Fuel diaphram was done 2 1/2 yrs ago<br />Carbs have not been rebuilt as long as I have had it, 3 yrs.<br />Ran fine last year<br />Will check fuel lines
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: Engine Bogs down at High RPM

No bulb?<br />How do you get fuel up the the motor if its been sitting for long periods of time?
 

ssuajk

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 25, 2003
Messages
72
Re: Engine Bogs down at High RPM

Shows how good I know my boat...LOL<br />I found the bulb under deck, pressurized it and saw fuel leak from fuel line between carbs 1 and 2(short piece of 5/16 rubber fuel line. I guess that would be the culpret?
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: Engine Bogs down at High RPM

Yes it could very well be.<br /><br />Seem hard to believe, but... when you hit a large wake, that little hose can flex just enough so that the fuel leaks out thru the cracked hose. Causes the carb to starve of fuel.<br /><br />PLEASE let us know how she runs after you replace that hose.<br /><br />Happy boating.
 

ssuajk

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 25, 2003
Messages
72
Re: Engine Bogs down at High RPM

Well that fuel line did not fix the bogging problem when I hit a wave. Since I was using my engine with choke to prime gas up to the motor could I have worn or stressed the diaphram. Remember I didn't kow I had a bulb so I used the engine and choke combo to always start even on the start of a new season. I replaced the diaphram 3 years ago.
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: Engine Bogs down at High RPM

Maybe.<br />Some of the gas we have available these days can also play havoc with the diaphram.<br /><br />Cheap enough to try as the parts are under $10.<br />I do mine every 3-4 years just to be safe.<br /><br />Double check all the wiring, especially up around the stator and flywheel. Perhaps a wire is grounding out somewhere and causing you to lose spark.<br /><br />?
 
Top