Engine block thread damage question

Ironhorse2022

Seaman Apprentice
Dishonest people suck. New to me ‘84 Suzuki 30 hp. Noticed a leak in the valve cover and found two bolts had been broken off in the block and their heads were glued back in place using silicone. Also, two other bolts were stripped and found this drill-out carnage once the cover was off. It looks like he drilled into the alum alongside the broken bolts on purpose. There’s so much block material removed I’m not sure how to proceed. Suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• 043AA8CC-85BF-42C3-8300-483B669BEBCB.jpeg
    043AA8CC-85BF-42C3-8300-483B669BEBCB.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
  • 545FA190-26AF-4A77-9912-43865DB37577.jpeg
    545FA190-26AF-4A77-9912-43865DB37577.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • 756CC3F3-028D-4297-B544-1B24AB7AE04C.jpeg
    756CC3F3-028D-4297-B544-1B24AB7AE04C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19

racerone

Supreme Mariner
These off shore companies are reducing the weight of new motors.----There is now no " meat " on them to make repairs.------Give me an old 2 stroke , as repairs are easy to make.----Old 2 strokes use a bit more fuel but they are just wonderful and easy to repair !!

Ironhorse2022

Seaman Apprentice
Do you think rebuilding the boss with JB weld around a stud might work ? I’d prefer welding but don’t know any good ones in alum. Concerned they may distort nearby precision surfaces like cylinder wall or block head gasket surface. I can hear the disclaimer now “should work but can’t guarantee it won’t cause other problems“.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
I would clean the areas really good and fill/build area back with Devcon aluminum putty, the redrill and tap it.

stresspoint

Ensign
its not an obligation of a seller to disclose a previous patch up job , its up to a buyer to recognize one and decide if it is acceptable before purchase.

as it is only an exhaust plate , i would just drill them even and tap bigger threads .
the ones that are to butchered beyond reason, poke some devcon or the like and push the screw in tight upon final assembly .

j

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A product called----lumiweld-----Would be my choice.-----First used it in about 1981 or so.----Works well if you do some practice pieces first..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Do you think rebuilding the boss with JB weld around a stud might work ? I’d prefer welding but don’t know any good ones in alum. Concerned they may distort nearby precision surfaces like cylinder wall or block head gasket surface. I can hear the disclaimer now “should work but can’t guarantee it won’t cause other problems“.
see your local radiator shop. 90% of them do aluminum welding on the side

Ironhorse2022

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks all, appreciate the help. I get the “buyer beware” comment but when is the last time you checked torque on all engine bolts standing in a sellers driveway to see if any were broken and held in with silicone. Leaving the bolt head out or disclosing it are the honest approaches.

stresspoint

Ensign
Thanks all, appreciate the help. I get the “buyer beware” comment but when is the last time you checked torque on all engine bolts standing in a sellers driveway to see if any were broken and held in with silicone. Leaving the bolt head out or disclosing it are the honest approaches.
there is no need to check bolts for tightness in the driveway , what i am saying is a through inspection before purchase will for the most part show a bad patch up job like you have witnessed on your motor..
basically what the PO has done would be what i am suggesting you should do , IE on the really trashed holes poke some devcon in them and push the bolts in to create a seal so as exhaust water cant leak out ,
PO used silicone which probably was in retrospect a bit dodgy but who knows how long ago it was done or how long it would have held up if you had not interfered with the screws.
i must be dishonest because i don't disclose every fix i have ever done on something to a buyer before i sell it to them, nor should i need to.

the joys of buying used outboards.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I have a different opinion here. I would go pay a visit to the prior owner and feel him out. Try and see if he knew or acts suspicious.

Demand your money or take him to small class court.

If you didn't pay much then whatever.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
yep you were ripped off.
someone that would sell a motor in that shape and trying to hide the defects is a criminal

Ironhorse2022

Seaman Apprentice
Ive been buying used parts for vintage machines for about 40 yrs now. Generally, I’ve had good luck judging character and buying from honest people. My approach when selling obviously doesn’t require disclosing everything I’ve fixed (unless it’s a selling point ie new clutch). But if there’s something on the verge of failing, intermittent failure or some half ass repair I did for whatever reason, I clearly explain them. That’s what’s disappointing about this instance. It happens. I did get the boat and engine at a significant discount which I originally attributed to it being a fall purchase. I’m going to give the alum epoxy putty referenced earlier a try and see how it works. And yes, I’ll disclose it if/when I sell the motor. Appreciate all the input.