engine and sterndrive mounts

powderhombre

Seaman Apprentice
I've got a 1982 Beachcraft bowrider runabout with an omc sterndrive,3.8 liter. the engine and drive mounts in the boat are, what seem to be, blocks fiberglassed over(4) the mounts are lag bolted in 3"x 1/2". some of these lags are rusted and loose, will not tighten down. when trim is activated some actually rise up out of the mounting blocks. questions are: what are these blocks? wood or resin? is there a way to quick fix? like cleaning out stripped holes and filling with resin and drilling and lagging? I have quite a few that are tight, should I replace the lags with new ones or leave sleeping dogs lay? any suggestions?

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: engine and sterndrive mounts

Those lags should be stainless, for starters. You can overdrill the hole, coat the lag in PAM cooking spray (or mold release), set them in the hole and fill it with epoxy resin, let it cure, back out the lag. That'll fix the lack of thread grip issue.

Check for rot while you're in there.

powderhombre

Seaman Apprentice
Re: engine and sterndrive mounts

thanks, I figured on something along those lines. the lags look like stainless, but are obviously rusted and eaten away. are those blocks solid resin? to be honest, when I saw they were just lagged in there, I was surprised. even me, I, can figure lag bolting an engine with 3" bolts ain't the best way to go... is this typical with most boats of this class?