engine and boat cleaning ?

sam111

Seaman Apprentice
So I am rebuilding an outboard engine for the first time have a few questions as I go in cleaning this.
1) what type of cleaning substance can/should be used to clean the cylinder block inside , pistons , crankshaft , connecting rod . (i.e the internal engine parts/block)
I have been cleaning the outside of the engine with simple green cleaner/degreaser I have also but haven't used it a can of Gunk Engine Brite Engine Protector-Shine though I haven't even used this on the outside of the engine. I am wondering what is the best stuff to clean the inside of the chambers and inside components like pistons,crankshaft, connecting rod/bearings. I Would like to clean them as well as provide something that will prevent them from corrosion as well as lubricate them maybe with some 2-cycle oil. What do you recommend in cleaning these parts.

2) Basically the same type of question but for the inside of the lower unit / impellor , gears / propeller?
My understanding is after the gears are clean you should ably a lithium white grease based substances... maybe just Vaseline would do. Don't know what do you recommend for this. Could be just a WD40 for some maybe....

3) replacing gaskets what gasket sealer and remove substance should I uses when removing / installing a gasket.
I may have to reinstall an old gasket that doesn't exist any more from the manufacture so is there a liquid gasket substance that you would recommend for the next best thing.

The carburetor was cleaned with carburetor cleaner and looks fantastic. I made sure all the components of the carburetor was clean and where they should be/functioning correctly.
For the fuel system I have a starter spray that I am thinking about uses a few sprays to make it easier to start don't need any fuel stabilizer because I am getting new fuel / oil when I put this engine back in the water.

I was told that to clean/prevent corrosion on the starter/electrical system to uses QD electrical cleaner this seals / prevents corrosion as well as cleans the old corrosion a way and gives a better electrical conductor contact. I am going to clean the spark plug with a wire brush / steal wool and check the gap maybe with the spark plug gap testers.

And that pretty much covers all my engine cleaning.

For an aluminum boat I was curious what you recommend for the hull or non-engine/motor parts of a boat as well.

Also should I oil/grease all the gears/bearing or what bolts/gears ,...etc should have the white grease as opposed to wd40 or just 2cycle oil I am having trouble understanding which ones to uses over the other and why?

This boat and engine is only used in freshwater ... no galvanic corrosion from the salt water and dissimilar metals , as well as no barnacles or algae currently to worry about

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: engine and boat cleaning ?

Normally, after the bores are honed or bored, you scrub then down with soap and water to get all the grit off. You then lubricate with 2 cycle oil to keep them from rusting. Usually, all interior parts are lubricated with 2 cycle oil, to control rust.

Propeller shafts and driveshaft splines are lubricated with marine grease. Gears can be lubricated with anything while disassembled. When in service they need to be lubed with Marine Gear oil.

Some gaskets need gasket cement, silicone or sealer. Some go on dry. It depends on the manufacturer recommendation.