engine alarm ??

muzzy

Cadet
I have a 270 hp crusader that causes an alarm to go off around 3200 rpms. I think the alarm is only for the temp and pressure but both are reading fine on the gauges.When i back down on the rpms the alarm turns off then i can bring it back up and it will run fine for a while and the whole cycle starts over. also im not sure of recomended rpm range for this engine.one more thing i found strange is that the engines have crusader tags but the intake and the exhaust manifolds both say mercruiser should this matter?

muzzy

Cadet
Re: engine alarm ??

anyone ....please this is driving me crazy and i dont want to do any more damage by running it ???? :confused:

Tufan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would do the obvious first - replace the temp sensor very easy and only few bucks. And go from there.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Might be the temp alarm for the transmission, if equipped... On a Borg/Warner 71-C or 72-C trans, you'll find the temp sender on top of the trans, right next to the cooler hose... Have a look at the trans fluid level, and note the fluid color and smell...<br /> <br />Good cruise rpm would be 2800-3200 rpm... Would'nt spin it much faster than that for long periods, except on ocassion, just to blow the carbon and crap out of it... If the boat is proped correctly, you should be able to hit near 4400-4500 rpm at wide open throttle...<br /><br />Manifolds don't make any difference...

muzzy

Cadet

snapperbait .. i checked the tranny fluid and it looks to be new, the problem is a just bought the boat and im wondering if it had been changed to cover something up??the cooler on the tranny seems to be working fine maybe ill change all the senders and see what happens ...also the gauges on the tower arent working properly and i plan on changing the next season could this effect the alarms going off??? thanks for the input this forum is great

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Same problem on two boats...intermittent alarm at less high RPM, some gauges not working properly. Took three weeks to figure out. This could be a long shot for you...but check all wiring harness connections. Twice this happened and it turned out to be loose connections, vibration must have caused the slightest disconnect. It's worth 15 minutes...

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class

how about pluged trans cooler causing restriction setting off the alarm! check the easy stuff first!