Engine alarm won’t stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff J

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I finally got the engine running again. Had to pull spark plugs and locate TDC for the #1 cylinder. The distributor was 180 degrees out. Beeping frequency changed but did not go away.

I couldn't get the local Volvo Penta shop to take a couple of minutes to hook up a code reader once all summer so I broke down and bought one. There were 6 stored codes and 4 active codes. Two of the stored codes were misfires on different cylinders. I cleared all codes and all that remain are SPN-701 trim sensor failure mode 3 (voltage/current above norm), SPN-697, 698, 699 (low or no voltage/current) which all appear to be analog gauge drivers. At least one of those must triggering the alarm. The analog gauges don't work but I can step through the digital gauge to see whatever I want. Everything else works and reads within normal parameters. Is there a way to silence the alarm for the upcoming Labor Day weekend without disabling the warning system completely?

Jeff J

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I didn’t get a chance to work on it today. I spent the morning studying the manuals I could find. I had to babysit the grand-babies this afternoon.

At this point I pretty much assume I need a trim position sensor but there is no way to get one before the weekend. I won’t actually order one until I know it’s bad either. I am hoping that is the only thing causing the alarm. I doubt it all went bad at the same time so I want to have a look at the grounds for the analog instruments as well. I should take the scanner to the dock and see what the boat there gives me. I don’t think the analog gauges work in it either but it doesn’t beep like this boat does. The weekend is here so I may try unplugging the trim position sensor and see what that does.

alldodge

Staff member
A non-existent gauge should not cause an alarm. There is something else going on. Reason for asking what the 5V reading is

Jeff J

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I unplugged the trim position connector and kept getting the scan code but the boat wasn't beeping... for about 5 minutes then it started beeping again. Once about every 7 seconds (counted, not timed) and a new code appeared on the scanner... 924 indmar cam phazer(?). I don't see SPN-924 in the manual I downloaded.

5v sensor pwr 1 = 5.01
5v sensor pwr = 4.00

alldodge

Staff member
5v should be 5 not 4. One sensor may be pulling voltage down

Jeff J

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ran the boat today with a new trim position sensor installed. The alarm didn’t sound once while it was running. Can’t put it on the lake yet because I lost the grommet clip. I spent a couple of hours with a magnet and a borescope to no avail. I think the designers intended the engine to be pulled to replace anything going to the sterndrive.

The second 5v circuit is still reading 4v. I have no clue why or how to fix but if it doesn’t trip an alarm I am not too concerned about it and I haven’t been able to find anything on the cam phaser code.

Jeff J

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I can’t believe how hard it is to get parts these days. If it’s not back ordered, it gets lost in shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.