Encountered some rocks with my Evinrude 48 SPL...

mkiv808

Cadet
Unfortunately, I learned the hard way how treacherous a local launch is with hidden rocks on one side about 15' from shore.

On the plus side, I was going very slow, just enough throttle to get the boat moving.

The prop has some nicks on the outside edges but is intact. It's a steel prop.

I didn't notice any oil leaking. It runs perfectly, except something I noticed was sometimes - when shifting from drive to neutral - I hear a metallic pinging sound, almost like the sound pistons in an engine make when they stall. It sounds like it's coming from the top of the engine, but who knows. Could this be a problem with the clutch dog? Honestly, I could just be paranoid and it's something that's happened before, or maybe there's a problem with the engine. Again, doesn't happen every shift. If I get it out of gear fast enough, doesn't seem to happen.

If I did have my mechanic evaluate this, what's a fair time estimate to get it checked?

Lastly, the prop has no fore/aft or side to side play, but I did notice it'll spin a good amount when in gear before I feel resistance. The prop itself has no play in its connection. I believe this is nothing new, but might turn a bit more now. Might be my imagination. Is this normal? In neutral it spins smoothly. I'm new to outboards, so please excuse the elementary question.

Any advice would be appreciated. I really thought I did some bad damage but thankfully it still runs. Hopefully I won't need any major work to the lower unit.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Encountered some rocks with my Evinrude 48 SPL...

If you ran it after the incident and it worked ok and nothing is leaking or wobbling I would not fret. I make a point to "pop" the motor into and out of gear, don't hesitate moving the lever to whichever gear you want to be in. My only experience with a failed clutch dog was in a OLD Chrysler 105, and it just quit going into forward. I would run your motor until you hear something obviously wrong. I don't think you did any real damage.

mkiv808

Cadet

If you ran it after the incident and it worked ok and nothing is leaking or wobbling I would not fret. I make a point to "pop" the motor into and out of gear, don't hesitate moving the lever to whichever gear you want to be in. My only experience with a failed clutch dog was in a OLD Chrysler 105, and it just quit going into forward. I would run your motor until you hear something obviously wrong. I don't think you did any real damage.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it functions perfectly and doesn't make any scary sounds. Well, just that pinging metallic sound when going into neutral sometimes. Not sure what that is.

Might have my mechanic take a look at it to confirm. $75 for visual inspection, $100 for visual + lake test.

mkiv808

Cadet

Anyone have any idea what the pinging sound might be?

nwcove

Admiral

can anyone else on the boat hear this sound? or is it like the odd noise i hear from my truck.....that no one else can hear!!!! lol

mkiv808

Cadet

can anyone else on the boat hear this sound? or is it like the odd noise i hear from my truck.....that no one else can hear!!!! lol
Yeah, my passenger heard it. I had to point it out, but she definitely found it odd. Caveat: she's the complete opposite of mechanical savvy. :)