Elk River/Cheaspeake Bay

wmteich

Seaman Apprentice
Looking to possible buy a summer home in this area(Elk River MD). I have been there a few times, my buddy used to own a house down there. It has been awhile, I have a 23 foot chapparal. Any cautions or words of advice for this area in terms of boating? Family fun.

crab bait

Captain
Re: Elk River/Cheaspeake Bay

there's 'white crystal beach' on the elk across from turkey point.. <br /><br />haven't been there in years but was my main 'party place' back in the day.. don't let that stun ya.. it's a very family place..<br /><br />great place to boat.. nonemuch better..

wmteich

Seaman Apprentice

Any marina's you would recommend? Ever heard of buttonwood beach area? Any other feedback is appriciated....

arks

Lieutenant Commander

We had a 23' Wellcraft and boated the Elk for many years. That's a good size boat for daytripping or weekending around there- big enough to handle the water conditions but small enough to trailer.<br /><br />I know Buttonwood Beach. It's across the river from the Elk Neck State Park ramps. They have a nice beach, boat ramp, and mooring area but no docks (last time I saw). I remember pulling a sailboat off a shallow spot right in front of BB. That area isn't very well protected from wind and wave action.<br /><br />Closest marinas from BB would be on the Bohemia River. I used Bohemia Vista a long time ago and was satisfied, but it was pretty basic. Oh yeah, the ramp was realllly steep, too. Hard to load at low tide unless you have 4 wheel drive.

wmteich

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the information. Would you happen to remember the Marina's name?

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Yes- Bohemia Vista Yacht Basin. 410-885-5402 (looked it up in my cruising guide).<br /><br />Others on the Bohemia:<br />-Bohemia Anchorage 410-275-8148<br />-Bohemia Bay Yacht Harbor 410-885-2601<br />-Hack's Marina 410-275-9151<br />-Long Point Marina 410-275-8181<br />-Richmond's Marina 410-275-2061<br />-Two Rivers Yacht Basin 410-885-2257<br /><br />Good luck!

crab bait

Captain

i'd go to charlestown.. a little hamlet on the northeast river.. many many summer cottages there..<br /><br />there's alittle store in town .. has a good bullentin board with property to buy an rent.. ask the store owner.. also talk to the firehouse across the street..

sundancer30

Cadet

Is there still a white crystal beach across from<br />turkey point? I am new to the area and I am trying to find places to take the wife and kids with a 30' I am at Bowleys Marina now.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by sundancer30:<br /> Is there still a white crystal beach across from turkey point?
Sure, but it's now a private community. They have a small marina and some moorings just off the beach. Looks to be for property owners only.<br /><br />Cabin John Creek has a decent beach as does Veasey Cove at the entrance to the Bohemia. One of my favorite destinations is the Sassafras- many great places to drop the hook or tie up for awhile. That's one of the best things about the Chesapeake- so many places to explore. Get yourself a cruising guide and discover YOUR favorite spot!