Elgin parts list

jimyoung

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
May 28, 2007
Messages
214
I have a 1960(?) Elgin 7 1/2 hp sold by sears....last part of ser# is 1501.....I cannot seem to find a service manual. I want to rebuild the carb....looks like the powerhead needs to come out to do most anything. Does anyone have a manual or know where I can find one....have looked in ebay already.
 

Attachments

  • 010104010202010306200710011c5d457895375d7f5400bb4e.jpg
    010104010202010306200710011c5d457895375d7f5400bb4e.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 0101040103030104002007100132a4b037c528dc622a0018c8.jpg
    0101040103030104002007100132a4b037c528dc622a0018c8.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 0

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Apr 26, 2002
Messages
19,069
Re: Elgin parts list

I have a 1960(?) Elgin 7 1/2 hp sold by sears....last part of ser# is 1501.....I cannot seem to find a service manual. I want to rebuild the carb....looks like the powerhead needs to come out to do most anything. Does anyone have a manual or know where I can find one....have looked in ebay already.

Motor is built by McCulloch I believe that design began in 1960. A McCulloch manual should serve you well.
Also an after market manual may work.I have an Abos manual 4th edition covering many brands under 30 hp .Covers McCulloch 55- 67.
5th edition covers 60-69.
If you give us the model number we can get you the year.Should begin with 574. Parts will be a tough You could try aomci.org
or the scott guy.
 

jimyoung

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
May 28, 2007
Messages
214
Re: Elgin parts list

Thanks, I will get all the numbers tommorow for you..........
 

baja boss

Cadet
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
16
Re: Elgin parts list

I just ordered a complete carb for a McCulloch version for Discount Marine Parts for $50.Some models have plugged holes to get a screwdriver thru to avoid pulling the powerhead.You can drill holes for that purpose.
 
Last edited:

jimyoung

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
May 28, 2007
Messages
214
Re: Elgin parts list

Baja..sorry I havent been on line for awhile.....thanks for the carb kit info...and now I know what those holes are for.....I havent been working on the motor for awhile...picked up a 54 johnson 5.5 for 25 dollars...it runs great.
 

F_R

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Jul 7, 2006
Messages
28,226
Re: Elgin parts list

If it has a Tillotson diaphragm carburetor, it is similar to the ones used on chainsaws of those days. If it is a Marvel Shebler float carb it is highly obsolete. Both kinds are very troublesome. I hope you love that motor, you will need it when you find out what a PITA it is to work on and keep running. If it is a 1960, you have to start at the top and work your way down to get at the water pump.
 

jimyoung

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
May 28, 2007
Messages
214
Re: Elgin parts list

Just from looking at it...I think it is the tillotson......the impellor is pumping, not sure yet that I want to tear it down....may just make it run right and then sell it...........
 
Top