Electricsl problem

borgia

Recruit
Im wiring a fuse panel, switch pane and light into my boat. I have done this in my side by side and tractor without incident. However this oroject is giving me a problem. I have gone through about 10 fuses. The only differrnce between my other projects and this is the wire. From the battery to the fuse panel Im using 10 guage wire. From the fuse panel to the switch Im using 12 guage marine wire. Im also using 12 guage marine wire on the switch and to the light. I cant figure out why I keep burning the fuse. Is my wire guage too large? I checked all the terminals and they seem good. Im using thr same 12v battery ive used on other similar projects.the switch is the standard amazon one with 5 prongs on back.

borgia

Recruit
Addl info which may or may not be relevant. The 10 guage wire from the battery to fuse box is about a foot long. The 12 guage marine wire from fuse to switch is maybe 8 invhes long. The 12 guage from switch to light is about 6-8 ft.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I checked all the terminals and they seem good. Im using thr same 12v battery ive used on other similar projects.the switch is the standard amazon one with 5 prongs on back.
Wire can’t be too big
DC power requires two (2) wire. Power and ground…

What is a “standard Amazon one with 5 prongs on back”?

What are you powering?
How big is the fuse?

borgia

Recruit
Yes it has a power and ground.

Amazon switch: Switchtec 1 Pc 12V Rocker Switch RED Led Light (Standard 5 Pins) On Off Switch for Boat Trucks RZR 1000 Ranger Maverick Auto RV Golf Cart Marine Panel Light Bar Fog Light Winch LED https://a.co/d/7QL54qo

Ive tried 15, 30, 25, 20 amp fuses. Trying to power a nilight 22 inch light bar rated to draw 120v

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Yes it has a power and ground.

Amazon switch: Switchtec 1 Pc 12V Rocker Switch RED Led Light (Standard 5 Pins) On Off Switch for Boat Trucks RZR 1000 Ranger Maverick Auto RV Golf Cart Marine Panel Light Bar Fog Light Winch LED https://a.co/d/7QL54qo
Not a good link
Ive tried 15, 30, 25, 20 amp fuses. Trying to power a nilight 22 inch light bar rated to draw 120v
You can’t power a 120VAC device with 12VDC
Are you sure the light bar isn’t rated at 120W (watts)?
Watts / actual voltage= amps

Guessing your “Amazon” switch is wired incorrectly of shorting to ground internally

borgia

Recruit
Not a good link

You can’t power a 120VAC device with 12VDC
Are you sure the light bar isn’t rated at 120W (watts)?
Watts / actual voltage= amps

Guessing your “Amazon” switch is wired incorrectly of shorting to ground internally
Sorry 120 Watts. Link works for me. Im not sure how to correct that. Its a switch that has 5 prongs on thr back. One side (3 of prongs) are power in, ground and power out. The other side has 2 prongs a power in and ground which illuminate the switch

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
One side (3 of prongs) are power in, ground and power out. The other side has 2 prongs a power in and ground which illuminate the switch
Are you sure about that?
Have a schematic?
Does the light work if you by-pass the switch and connect the leads directly to a power source?

airshot

Rear Admiral
I have that same setup on my side x side, I just followed the diagram that came with the switch. There was an extra wire added if you wanted the switch to light up when turned on, or another version to have the switch lit up all the time. Been a few years back will see if I can find the diagram.