electrical

shenders52

Recruit
I have a 60 hp Johnson outboard around1990 model I hooked the battery terminals backwards everything works trim,jackplate ,lights, but try turning it over and nothing it on a 1990 Carolina skiff (help)!!!!!!!!!!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
You blew a fuse. Look at the owner's manual to find out where it is. If you don't have one, get one.

(I assume you hooked it up correctly after you found the problem).

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
does anyone know why boat rectifiers blow all the time when their batt. polarity is reversed ... ??

typically, a diode's role in life is to control the direction of current and block reversing voltages ... like rectifying AC voltages in power supplies.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Got to be something about the diodes that are connected to rectifier case
1619010739322.png

F_R

Supreme Mariner
In normal operation, the diodes block the battery from discharging through the alternator. Reverse the battery, and current almost free-flows back through the alternator, at a high amperage rate, higher than the diodes can stand, so they burn out.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
that would imply current flow against the directional control properties
of the diodes...

I have a few spare 25 amp 4w bridges.... time permitting * i'll try and blow one :)

* between my real duties

F_R

Supreme Mariner
In simple terms, if you connect a plain wire across the terminals of a 12V battery, it will get red hot and burn in two. Insert a diode in the wire in a direction that it blocks the flow, then no current flow, no heat, and everything survives. However, if you insert the diode in a direction that it does not block the flow, you are right back to the same thing as a wire with no diode---it burns up at the weakest point (the diode)..

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I thought that modern OBs and RVs had a fuse that would protect the sensitive circuitry if the battery were hooked up backwards. It was supposed to blow before any other component.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
clean all the battery cable connections from the battery to the slave relay to the starter. also pull the starter and clean the mating surface of the block and starter (ground path) been more than one johnyrude that wouldnt turn over from corrosion on the starter mating surface.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I thought that modern OBs and RVs had a fuse that would protect the sensitive circuitry if the battery were hooked up backwards. It was supposed to blow before any other component.
Can't speak for all "modern" outboards, but for the vast majority, if not all, the charging circuit is not fused.