Electrical wiring

alldodge

Staff member
Dryer wiring 10/2 W ground
Older wiring where the ground is braid around the 2 conductors and appear to be tinned copper, rubber jacket not vinyl.

Hot wires are a tad to short in the breaker box, ground braid is plenty long. I'm thinking of using split bolt connectors inside the breaker box to make them longer to reach the breaker location. Could use wire nuts but I like split bolt and tape because they never loosen.

Questions are: is it code to make a connection inside the breaker panel? If not I have enough room to pull the cable out and put in a junction box besides it.

alldodge

Staff member
Found it is legal to make connections inside the breaker panel, happens quite often when replacing panels.

Split bolts and wire nuts are allowed. Found a youtube vid showing how best to do it. Sand all sides, then use grease, then mastic tape, then electrical tape. My panel is inside the house and moisture is not an issue.

bigdee

Commander
Yup its legal. I had to do just that on a few service change outs/upgrades. I do question the type cable you described..... It should be romex. Jacket should be cloth or vinyl,not rubber.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
The individual conductors are rubber coated, the jacket is cloth

Did figure out the wire size was 6AWG and not 10. Just thought "dryer" and expect to see #10. It didn't look right and before I finished was thinking this doesn't look right. Took a caliper to the wire and shows 0.16 so #6

Was a bit hard getting the wire on a 30 amp breaker but all good now

bigdee

Commander
The individual conductors are rubber coated, the jacket is cloth

Did figure out the wire size was 6AWG and not 10. Just thought "dryer" and expect to see #10. It didn't look right and before I finished was thinking this doesn't look right. Took a caliper to the wire and shows 0.16 so #6

Was a bit hard getting the wire on a 30 amp breaker but all good now
Sounds like SE cable of many years ago....glad it worked out for you!