Electrical problem?

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
CO OP truck showed up a little after 8AM. They installed a larger (not huge) transformer; ran bigger service drop to the W/H; new meter. Checked input on both legs; 121V on both. Their Rep called around 10; will swing by tomorrow to get my receipts.
Told some of my buddies about the outcome. Some said now is time to get all new appliances; B/S TV, refig.,W/D etc. I'm not going to milk them;;am happy enough. Plus I still have 30 days.

alldodge

Staff member
Good to hear the great outcome

121V on both

Wish I had that, I'm seeing 126 to 128V all the time, and I have a new transformer and all new wires. Country living I guess for me

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
AC people came out this morning; installed a 4 Ton Carrier condenser unit ($1400). CO OP Rep showed up; had good vibes with us. No hassle; said they would would pay. He also asked about our major appliances. All have age but still working. He said they will replace with new (Conn's; GE or Maytag); the Admiral said (Sears; Kenmore). He said he would leave our claim open until Aug. 31st. Gave us his card; any problems; just call.
We have heard horror stories about Conn's; never been inside a store.

alldodge

Staff member
Whirlpool makes kenmore, but I have had good luck with GE. Use to be Maytag was something that never wore out, same a whirlpool, but anymore they all have slipped some. All my Ge stuff is still working along with whirlpool (frige in shop)

Carrier isn't bad but I would take Amana (Goodman) any day over most all. They have a 99 year warranty to original purchaser

bigdee

Commander
Whirlpool makes kenmore,

That used to be the case but not anymore. Sears rebrands most all major appliances. The new whirpool washers are crap compared to the ones they use to make with robust cast iron transmissions. Also I would stay clear of front loaders. Bells and whistles are costly up front and in the long run too.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Good to hear you're getting everything taken care of. Awesome service from your electric system too.

The Carrier unit is a great one. Been working on heating and cooling systems for 28 years and Carrier is at the top of the list for good equipment if installed correctly.

Don't forget to register the unit ( If the installer hasn't ) as you will get a 10 year warranty on parts and compressor if registered within the first 90 days. Otherwise the standard warranty is 5 years. You can check at Carrier.com.

Definitely keep an eye on all your newer electronic devices and appliances as power fluctuations are not kind to the newer control boards.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
That's what cratered! The Admiral's cousin worked for Godwin in Houston; they used Amana. Unit was installed in '04. Went through 2 compressors. Both under warranty; we paid labor. I watched them install off and on; kept them supplied with cold water. Tech said it was a good unit. 10 and 2 on the unit.
I was a Service Tech for Sears (TV) Their downfall was selling all Brands. The source # for Whirpool was/is 106. Our stuff is 8-9 yrs old. still working. Fridge is '96; FIL's '11 is running in his trailer full of bottle water.
I will start a new topic about appliances.
They (CO OP) has done; IMO; a good job. They have admitted fault; paid for my loss; I'm happy. Leary about the new stuff. Guessing 3-4K;

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Can close this thread. CoOp called Friday for a final decision. The Admiral and I discussed it off and on; decided to pass on the new stuff. They admitted fault; made it right; enough said. Not sure how others will turn out.