Electrical problem - Merc 5.7

Mercnoob

Cadet
So to start, I have patched the problem to get my boat winterized.

The issue was the ground to the starter was not good enough to get it to turn over. I tried a lot of things, new starter, lightly sanding the points of contact of the starter to the block to ensure that any corrosion was removed, cleaned all connections for ground and positive, etc. In the end I just ran a thick wire to the neg terminal from the starter and it works now.

the problem I want to correct is that when I was struggling with the starter I saw that the ground wire was smoking on the engine harness. I assume that i have an issue grounding the engine rather than the starter at this point. The cord I have is standard bolt down kind at the engine and the car type at the battery. I have cleaned that connection twice battery and engine. is there another type of cord to use or some technique I don't know about? I just have been tightening the bolt at the engine until I could not turn it (probably 15ftlbs).

thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Electrical problem - Merc 5.7

You have some serious issues with your ground from the battery to the engine. Maybe a corroded terminal the battery cable hooks to on the engine ???????????????

Mercnoob

Cadet
Re: Electrical problem - Merc 5.7

Thanks, confirmation of the faulty ground means a lot. I think im going to just replace the ground cable. the ground post on the engine makes the wire snug up against the block and I know that is clean, so the only issue that is left is the cable itself.

jmho.

cheers,

m