Electrical problem after doing something dumb

Boatieboat

Recruit
Hey all,
I did something dumb today while replacing the sparkplugs on my 2006 Mercruiser 3.0L TKS. I did not disconnect the battery and I accidentally touched my socket wrench to a terminal on the starter slave solenoid. Sparks went everywhere, it was great. Now nothing on the boat will turn on except for the power tilt/trim. Lights, blower, pumps are all dead. I pushed the little red circuit breaker button and that didn't do anything. I'm thinking it might be that the 90amp fuse blew, but I'm not very mechanically or electrically savvy by any means. Any ideas? Appreciate your time.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you are not mechanically inclined or electrically savvy like you say, take it to your local marine mechanic

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Take a test light or voltmeter and test along the power wire through the circuit breaker.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Most likely the Red/purple stripe wire and shorted out the 90A link at the starter. Considering how tight that area can get I install a Maxi-Fuse in the Red wire and the Orange wire. This way should the fuse blow protecting the Alt you still retain system power 1611158881738.png

Boatieboat

Recruit
Most likely the Red/purple stripe wire and shorted out the 90A link at the starter. Considering how tight that area can get I install a Maxi-Fuse in the Red wire and the Orange wire. This way should the fuse blow protecting the Alt you still retain system power View attachment 332179
Replaced the 90amp fuse and that did the trick! Thanks!