Electrical prob.1996 225 carb Merc.

red cobia 17'

Seaman
I have a 1996 225 carb.Merc. Went to go out in boat but never got it off the trailer.It started and ran rough kept cutting out.Then it would not crank.(Like it was in gear.No responce with key).Came back home and started motor and it ran(smoked alot each time I started it but finally cleared up).I pulled plugs and looked at them but they looked good.I changed them anyway.I checked the compression on all 6 cyl.and they were all around 100psi.+-5lbs.I came out next day and motor started fine but ran less than 45 sec.and cut off.No responce from key switch or trim button(these are seperate from each other).Went to trim on motor and had power.Then I had power at shift knob for trim but no key responce.Waited 30-45 sec.and key worked but motor only ran a short time and did the same thing.It finally cranked and ran for about 15 min.then I shut it off.I think it's a power problem in the controls or remote key switch.But how can you have a problem with it not starting with the key and the trim not working on the controls?.The trim works at the motor.ANY IDEAS?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Electrical prob.1996 225 carb Merc.

sounds like you may have a bad ground to your solenoid or a neutral switch.

red cobia 17'

Seaman

I thought about neutral switch but power tilt&trim threw me off.Why would neutral switch effect power tilt&trim?

Laddies

Banned

I am uploading your wiring diagrams it will take a while as I'm on dail up, as soon as they are done I will PM them to you as it's 2 pages. Your problem could be at the point that the ign. switch plugs in or the switch it's self but probably would be the shift switch. It will all be clearer when you get the diagrams