ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR TOOLS

phx5kegsman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello, I'm replacing some parts on my '78 Johnson 115 and need to remove a couple of wires from their Amphenol connectors. Then I will need to insert each of the two wires into the two new connectors. Does anyone know of a way to do accomplish this WITHOUT buying the tool kit that is kind of expensive, especially because I would rarely us them? Any tips, tricks, or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Hello, I'm replacing some parts on my '78 Johnson 115 and need to remove a couple of wires from their Amphenol connectors. Then I will need to insert each of the two wires into the two new connectors. Does anyone know of a way to do accomplish this WITHOUT buying the tool kit that is kind of expensive, especially because I would rarely us them? Any tips, tricks, or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
First thing is a little rubbing alcohol on the fitting...I have some hand sanitizer in my shop and I use that....makes it slide real easy. The female pins are easy, just use a pick tool and it comes right out. The male pins are tougher but I get those out with a bunch of different tools. Any small tubular thing you can find laying around like a brass tube.

Without the alcohol it's really hard...amazing how that stuff works.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
Most of those amp connector pins have small locking tabs. the idea is to insert a tool to overlap the locking pins
...sometimes one pin sometimes 2 pins!

I have managed to extract some by flattening different size finishing nail by hammering them out on an anvil and grinding the sides to fit the amp connector holes.

Works a bit like flat bar to slide over the locking tabs then
make extraction possible.. not always easy but it can be done.

you could contact the manuf. and explain the issue maybe they have tricks
they can share. utubes may help.
in a worst case scenario you may have to cut and reuse different connectors

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The rubber plugs referred to in post #1 do not have any locking tabs.---Yes oil or grease makes working on them easy.----The special wee tools ( I have them ) makes it easier of course.

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
ive pushed the male ones out with a small nail years ago. amazon has a really cheap inserter/instraction tool assortment on a keychain. a bunch of those will work, too. $8 or something funny like that.