Electric Winch

SDSeville

Lieutenant
I was checking out the e-z slides and it says "For metal boats weighing up to 4000 lbs and fiberglass boats weighing up to 1500 lbs". I can't seem to find a kit for heavier boats.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
You would have to turn the winch around so the ratchet worked in the right direction. Worth a try if it's easy to do.
That way you will know it the angle is causing your problem.

Use google images "boat trailer winch stand assembly" and for every good setup you will see 100 bad ones.
I put it down to lazy or dumb trailer manufacturers.

Doesn't look like I will be able to turn it around. Do they make winches that are made to pull from the top?

Fed

Commander
Contrary to what dingbat said every winch I've ever seen pulls the same as yours.
Hard to justify major surgery to get it pulling squarely unless you're sure that will fix it.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Doesn't look like I will be able to turn it around. Do they make winches that are made to pull from the top?

They all come off the top. Its the only way.

When the boat is fully loaded the strap (or rope or cable) should be even with or slightly above the boat's bow eye.

If you can't adjust it properly, then your boat / trailer / winch stand are not compatible. That happened to me once. I ended up buying a new winch stand and all was well after that.

Fed

Commander
Compared to most your winch is mounted upside down which adds to the mystery.
Do you have a picture from a bit further away so we can see what's going on, it might give us some better ideas.