Electric Trolling Motor Recommendations

Earl D

Cadet
I have a 12' aluminum v-hull which I am converting to a mini-bass boat with a front deck. (Yep, there is actually one on youtube that is quite stable.) I would like to put an electric trolling motor on the front deck, 12V, which I can lower into and raise out of the water, as with a standard bass boat. I'd like a motor with some heft but not a rocket.
Any recommendations as to what make and model would be appreciated.

briangcc

Commander
No offense but with that size boat, about any trolling motor is going to be sufficient. Especially since its a tinny.

I would think lower end Motorguide or Minnkota is probably good. Items like spot lock or integrated transducer are probably not going to be on your wish list as I don't see a boat that size going out into big(ger) water unless its on a dead calm day. Probably small reservoirs and ponds correct?

I personally dislike my Motorguide that came with my Chap due to it having a wireless foot control. I would have much preferred a manual tiller style but that's just the way I fish. Or call me old fashioned stick in the mud.

I would just be careful how much "stuff" you're adding to that boat as it all weighs something. You may find you're riding lower in the water than you wanted after your modifications.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Every # of gear, platforms, etc added to the boat needs to be subtracted from the weight capacity. remember on small boats, the weight capacity is for people, motor, gear, fuel (everything added to a bare hull)

For example, a 12 foot alumacraft is rated to only hold 482#.

Trolling motor on bow will weight 20# if it's a tiller. 40#+ if it's on a folding mount. Add 2 batteries at 55# each, a small outboard at 70#, 3 gallons of fuel at #24, #30 with of fishing gear, #10 for anchor a d line and your 30# platform. It adds up quick. Leaves enough for a 200# person and a 12-pack

Earl D

Cadet
Every # of gear, platforms, etc added to the boat needs to be subtracted from the weight capacity. remember on small boats, the weight capacity is for people, motor, gear, fuel (everything added to a bare hull)

For example, a 12 foot alumacraft is rated to only hold 482#.

Trolling motor on bow will weight 20# if it's a tiller. 40#+ if it's on a folding mount. Add 2 batteries at 55# each, a small outboard at 70#, 3 gallons of fuel at #24, #30 with of fishing gear, #10 for anchor a d line and your 30# platform. It adds up quick. Leaves enough for a 200# person and a 12-pack
Thanks for the input. I am aware of the weight issue and as a result will only use a 12V trolling motor requiring only 1 battery. I am using aluminum as the decking support and pvc 1/2" panels instead of wood which would be much heavier.
This video is the inspiration of my project and in my opinion is an outstanding jon boat to bass boat video.

briangcc

Commander
Worth mentioning...it's also a narrow boat. As you move the center of gravity up, it's gonna get tippy.

Best of luck.

dwco5051

Commander
Watched the video and wondered about the handling but it was a nice neat job. Did have some qualms about taking boat building advice from someone who doesn't know the difference between a jon boat and a semi v hull. I have a 12 footer I use on some of the small electric motor only lakes and threw a 35 pound thrust motor on it that was a $20 garage sale item and it is all the power you would need.

Earl D

Cadet
Watched the video and wondered about the handling but it was a nice neat job. Did have some qualms about taking boat building advice from someone who doesn't know the difference between a jon boat and a semi v hull. I have a 12 footer I use on some of the small electric motor only lakes and threw a 35 pound thrust motor on it that was a $20 garage sale item and it is all the power you would need.
I've had this boat for about 45 years and have always used a 36# thrust MotorGuide, 12V. The author of the video is an engineer and went into much detail about things he was doing. The entire boat in the video was filled with closed-cell foam which was a 2 part foam and went into all the nooks and crannies. If you look at the end of the videos to where he steps off the dock onto the front deck the stability is amazing.
I have been using the same trolling motor for as long as I've had the boat. I was actually seeking any recommendations from people who might know about t. motor would be good for bow mounting.

dwco5051

Commander
Just a personal preference but I like the bow mounted tiller motor on a smaller boat like my 14' v hull tinny. Keeps every thing simple Had remote (foot) operated on my last two bass boats but they had a lot more room on their bow decks.