Electric shift outdrive

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am looking at buying a boat with an electric shift outdrive.

My questions are:
If I hook up a battery to the cables up to the boat should the tilt operate?
Does the engine need to be running to shift the outdrive into gear?
Should the prop still turn if I put the shifter into gear without the ignition on?

The lower unit has been completely rebuilt/replaced. The only thing original is the case itself.

Thanks,
Chas

southkogs

Staff member
Re: Electric shift outdrive

An owner of a 1972 Stringer - make sure of two things: you can run it on the water before you pay for it & you get a REALLY good price on it.

I bought mine last year not really understanding stern drives (I've always had outboards). I got an incredible price on it and even if I have to purchase a rebuilt lower unit for the problem I'm having this year - I'll still be WAAAAAAYY ahead of my original buying budget (under $4K). Bottom line: if you go the stringer route, make sure you get an INSANE deal and that you're prepared to work on it some.

The tilt should operate with a fully charged battery, engine off and key switched to accessory (once to the right).
The engine does need to run to shift into gear (or at least to verify it) - it would be best to have the drive completely lowered to protect the ball-gear too.
Off the top of my head - I think my prop will spin free if the system is off. So, I think that's a "yes"

They aren't bad drives, really. I like the way mine works very much, and am enjoying the boat regardless of the struggles I have with it. They run very quiet, turn exceptionally tight and mine seems very efficient with fuel. I won't say "don't," but I will say "be careful."

All the best with it!