electric shift or not?

Dm82

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 30, 2008
Messages
31
Hello, thanks for reading. I have a 1968 Johnson V100, model #v4tl-14b. I am still learning about this motor and was wondering if anyone knew if this model has the electric shift? I have read a lot of bad things about this electrc shift but am not quite sure what exactly it is. Again I am new at this. I just wondering if any of you more experienced boaters know about this. If you cant say for this particular model than please share at least what I should look for. Thanks.
 

drin1932

Cadet
Joined
Apr 13, 2009
Messages
15
Re: electric shift or not?

the easiest way is to look at your control box and see if you have two mechanical cables or one cable and one est of wires.
 

Dm82

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 30, 2008
Messages
31
Re: electric shift or not?

Hey thanks alot!
 

F_R

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Jul 7, 2006
Messages
28,226
Re: electric shift or not?

That motor is Electromatic Electric shift (with spring clutches). But note that it is the large one piece gearcase, not the slim two-piece one used on the smaller motors. Basically the stern drive gearcase which was used on much more horsepower, so it's pretty tough for a 100hp.
 

Dm82

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 30, 2008
Messages
31
Re: electric shift or not?

Hey thanks again everyone for the info. I finally found an original service manual for my particular motor and that should end alot of the "beginners" questions. Got if off E-Bay for 14.95. Can't beat that. Again thanks!

So since you seem to know a little about these, is there anything that I should watch for or maybe be a little more gentle with?
 
Top