Electric choke on 9.9 bigfoot

bobb729

Recruit
Hi all got a little problem with my 9.9. It's an '06 and the motor cranks and will turn over and run it's the elctric choke does not work when the key is depressed at the switch. I jumped the choke to 12volts and it engages. I think it may be the switch but do not have a schmatic and know what wires to test to see if the choke is bad at the switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

WindyWay

Recruit
Re: Electric choke on 9.9 bigfoot

Just use an ohm meter to check the wire from the switch to the solenoid. My guess is the connector has a bad connection if so spread the pin a little.

water world

Petty Officer 3rd Class

make sure your key switch has push to choke wire coming out of it. check for choke wire voltage to engine end if harness.
then check the harness out of engine has choke wire in it. mercury had some harness with wire left out for choke.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

If wiring is the same as mine (higher hp later model, but Merc may standardize colors per function over the different models) the yellow wire black tracer is for hot, and the other wire from the valve is ground. Depressing the key puts 12v from the keyswitch on that wire to energize the fuel enrichment (aka choke function) valve. Don't confuse the wire with the black wire with yellow tracer as it is the engine kill wire and when the key switch is in the off position, it grounds that wire, hence grounding your trigger modules which kills the engine.

No idea as to how your 9.9 is setup, but the functionality one would think would be similar to my higher hp unit; course mine is remotely controlled and your functions may all be on the engine, but that may not matter.

Mark

carholme

Rear Admiral

Your engine has an electric choke solenoid with the Blue wire from the solenoid going to the yellow/black from the remote connector. The Black wire from the solenoid goes to the black wire from the remote.

Here is the manual and you will see this in the wirning diagrams. As well, see the Carburetor section, 3B-19 for the electric choke installation.

http://1manual.com/Mercury manuals/Service Manual PDFs/FourStroke/856159r1/cover.pdf

You must have Adobe Acrobat reader installed to use this manual. If you scroll down to the lower part of the opening page, you will see the various engine components in red. Click on the one you want and when the first page opens, click on the "Save As" icon at the top LH corner of the page and you can save it to your computer.

Gerry