Elderly Johnson ID please?

labougie

Seaman Apprentice
Hi - Anyone know what this might be? Thanks in advance.

Whatsthis2.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Elderly Johnson ID please?

model # should be on plate above transom clamps.

labougie

Seaman Apprentice

Unfortunately, I don't have sight of it. It's for sale, by an elderly woman who probably couldn't find the plate!

Rick.

Captain

I know for sure it is a Johnson. Other than that I can't help you much. Looks like a weedless prop and has similarities to a 4 hp but I really don't know. Best of luck. What is her asking price? Rick.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

If the fuel tank is the original one,then you have a 1965 3hp engine although the lower cowling is missing.
Up to 1964 the horse emblem was above the lettering,while in 1965 it appeared on the same line as the lettering.
In 1966 the shape of the fuel tank was changed a bit
http://www.old-omc.de/j_1965/seite_06_07.jpg

Somebody help me here. I think that the 1965 3 horse did not have needle bearings and that it still needs to be run with a 1:24 mix

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The engine is the venerable 3hp style and the color looks like the 1968 green. That was the last 3hp and it became a redesigned 4hp in '69. 1967 was a lighter green color and the earlier '60's models were French Silver which was a very pale gray shade.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It is not a weedless bottom, it is a right angle drive (JH series). The tank doesn't match the rest of the motor. And I don't know what kind of contraption that is bolted to the side of the powerhead.

labougie

Seaman Apprentice

Someone else has suggested that it's a 1969 Belgian-made 4hp, series 4B69B. Does this ring any bells with anyone? Thanks for all the input.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well, actually there is such a thing as a 1969 4B69. That would make sense if it were made for the European market. Never saw anything like it here in USA. I'll bet Enrico in Italy will respond to your aomci post.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Somebody help me here. I think that the 1965 3 horse did not have needle bearings and that it still needs to be run with a 1:24 mix

If I recall, neither one of the 3 hp's had needle bearings nor did the later 4 hps either. All these light tiwns were friction based motors, so I would run it at 24:1 or heavier. I have a 1970 4hp here that I rebuilt for a guy and I know for a fact that it doesn't have needles. I believe the 4hp's didn't get needles until they were totally redesigned with the full shift lower units.

Oddly enough though, the 2 hp singles of this era had needles though.

labougie

Seaman Apprentice

OK, I think I've nailed it down. Searching on '4B69B' I found some pics which are exactly the same -

19694hp1Medium.jpg

19694hpMedium.jpg

19694hp2AMedium.jpg

So it seems to be a 1969 Belgian 4hp. One of the attractions of keeping an old Johnson going is the pretty good availability of parts so the question arises - is this mechanically the same as the USA 1969 4hp? Anyone know where I should go to find out?

Thanks for all the input

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Wow, hadn't seen that version before. Many of the European and Asian versions were built specifically for those markets and were not made in the USA.

I'm guessing that the common service parts are the same such as carb or ignition. You may need an experienced tech to look at any parts you need to see if they are the same, as a person behind the parts counter may not have the listing for that particular motor since it wasn't a US product. They should compare using a regular 1969 4hp parts breakdown.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I believe a lot of parts will be interchangeable, with the exception of that narly lookin' carry handle. If you do order any parts for it, just make sure you take your old parts with you to match them up, incase the parts counter guy happens to be a nig nog. Less chances of going wrong there. :D:D

labougie

Seaman Apprentice

I missed buying the engine above, but I've decided I want one. Can anyone please give me a steer on the interchangability of drives for OMCs of this era (1969). I'm being offered one of these engines with a longshaft angled drive. Given that the longshaft/shortshaft difference seems to be just a small extension between the bottom of the (short) shaft and the bevel/prop, does anyone know whether this extension can simply be removed and replaced with a right-angled drive unit? Is there a stub extension to the drive shaft? Any info gratefully accepted. Thanks in advance.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Big tip off on year is the forest green paint. This color was used in '68 and '69.

???

Rick.

Captain

If you want a short shaft I would suggest you buy a short shaft. You would have to replace the drive shaft with one from a short shaft or have a machine shop remove 5 inches from your long shaft. Nothing wrong with the "angled drive" AKA a weedless prop which is very common in my part of the world. In fact, I've only ever seen weedless drives of that vintage. I'm not certain when but I think by the later 70's they started to make these motors with a forward and neutral gear shift. If I were looking to replace my 71 (and I hope I never do) I would certainly look for one with that feature. Rick.

labougie

Seaman Apprentice

Point taken, Rick. As a matter of interest, would there be a lot of difference between the angled (weedless) prop and the right-angled one in terms of power? I'd be using it on a 2.6m (Achilles) inflatable.

Rick.

Captain

That is a good question but I haven't an answer. On a 4 HP i kind of doubt you would notice a difference but hopefully others who have experience with both will chime in here. Rick.