Effectiveness of Quicksilver powertune and fuel system cleaners or simillar products

jurgenscraft

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good evening all .
I have heard and read about these "Mechanic in a spray can" products and wonder how effective they realy are, can a motor be de-carbonized by simply spraying a solution of various chemicals through the intake tubes of the carburettors, do these products work. One of the brand names available here in South Africa is Quicksilver, has somebody on the forum had any experience with this particular brand, or any other brand of " decarbonizer"?
We used to do it the old fashioned way strip and clean ,but those were smaller and much more simple, single or twin cylinder two stroke motors
Kind regards William Wright

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Effectiveness of Quicksilver powertune and fuel system cleaners or simillar produ

That is probably similar to Mercury Power Tune, which works OK if you follow the instructions on the can exactly. You need to either have the boat in the water or use a test wheel and tank - no muffs.

You can make a decarb liquid yourself if you want to. Just do a search for MSDI for a product so that you know what is in it.

Someone here had a formula posted, but I don't know how to find it.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Effectiveness of Quicksilver powertune and fuel system cleaners or simillar produ

Not only are they effective they are needed with todays engines & fuel. They help keep the inside of the engine clean and carbon free (in other words the rings are less likely to carbon up and break).

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Hey jurgenscraft, unfortunately we don't get a great product like seafoam here, but I only use quicksilver as it is the best we get around here and it works great ...... where you at?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

As a dealer in the 90's I used the Quicksilver 'Power Tune' and found it to be very effective and worth every cent. It was always quite amazing to see how much crap was flushed from an engine by using it. It's also a great cutting fluid when you're drilling stainless or aluminium.

Chris............