Educate me about guns

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
I read the DEA post and I always thought that a gun wouldnt go off if the clip wasn't in it.<br /><br />Can you still shoot the gun without the clip, but one in the chamber?<br /><br />Ken

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Educate me about guns

I believe you are right KZ, most modern semi-autos have magazine disconnects. I'd like to know what brand/model it was. I'd stay miles away from it.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

My Smith and Wesson 5906 would not fire with the mag out of the gun unless you already had started pulling the trigger some before dropping the mag. My Beretta 92 FS will fire off with the mag gone. Some will, some won't.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Most .22 cal auto pistols will fire without the clip. I too like revolvers...you generally know when they are loaded, but you always gotta open'em up and check...

LubeDude

Admiral

I just checked my Husqvarna (Laute) 9mm, 1945 vintage, it definatly would have fired with a round in the chamber and the clip removed.

Homerr

Commander

All of my autos will fire with one in the tube and the clip out.<br /><br />Never gave it much thought, but I can see where that might be an issue.<br /><br />On one hand, I like the idea it can still fire.<br />If you lose your clip, at least you can still use the weapon.<br /><br />On the other hand... It would be a bad thing if you were stupid enough not to look in your tube for a round if you were cleaning your gun and pulled the trigger?<br /><br />Then there is a safety factor of disabling the weapon around kids... No clip... no fire.<br /><br />Personally, I always pull the bolt completely out to disable the weapon.<br /><br /><br />But then again... According to most anti-gun liberals... all guns are dangerous if they are disabled or not and can jump off of a table, or locked gun cabinet and randomly shoot people for no reason. Especially if it's a semi-automatic assault rifle near a fast food restaurant! :) <br /><br />H.

SoulWinner

Commander

Come on guys, this is the kind of question that leads to stupid lawsuites. Any gun should be handeled as if loaded and ready to fire at all times....... Unless you are trying to shoot someone, then, and only then should you be darn sure you have lead ready to send down range. Lets just all know how our guns operate, and be safe with these tools of freedom.

Skinnywater

Commander

My Browning won't. My Norinco will.<br /><br />The magazine safety also prevents the mag from simply dropping out when the release button is pushed.

Link

Rear Admiral

Good question<br /><br />
Can you still shoot the gun without the clip, but one in the chamber<br />
The only semi in the house is my wifes Whitney Wolverine so I just opened the safe and nope it wont! Good to know.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I bet that DEA agent made the best point on gun safty than anybody. Nothing like a real display of carelessness to get the point across. Its a good thing it was him and not one of the children .<br /><br />Reguardless if the gun will or will not fire without the clip. It should be treated as it was ready to fire at any time. At least that is what I was taught way back in my early years.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

My Glock will fire without the clip in it. There are some that will not though. I am with SW on this. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, who has had fire arms training knows that you handle any gun as if it is loaded. I have no idea why this person did not see a round sitting in there waiting to be pushed into the chamber. I think maybe he was to nervous for some reason and got careless.

oddjob

Commander

The hand gun safety course video that I have and still watch with my boys before they want to shoot their BB guns says a gun is always loaded and should be treated as so by the holder of the weapon and every one present. The mag, in or out, makes no difference. One could be in the chamber or in route. To be certain, point the weapon out of harms way, drop the mag, check the bolt & chamber. If all empty, the gun is safe only to the holder. If the holder places the gun on the table and releases the weapon. He must repeat this procedure again and every time after he releases the weapon and picks it up. If everyone practiced this method there would be less accidental deaths or shootings.

oddjob

Commander

Also, I never chamber a round and leave it. If I'm hunting, I usually check everyones gun before I get in the vehicle. I dont chamber untill I'm dropped off. And I prefer to hunt alone. When take my boys I wont chamber until I need too. That just makes it more sporting for me. ;)

gaugeguy

Captain

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OF GUN SAFETY<br /> <br />1. Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. <br /> <br />2. Guns should be unloaded when not actually in use. <br /><br />3. Don't rely on your gun's "safety". Treat every gun as if it can fire at any time. <br /><br />4. Be sure of your target and what's beyond it. <br /><br />5. Use correct ammunition. <br /><br />6. If your gun fails to fire when the trigger is pulled, HANDLE WITH CARE. Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. <br /><br />7. Always wear eye and ear protection when shooting. <br /><br />8. Be sure the barrel is clear of obstructions before shooting. <br /><br />9. Don't alter or modify your gun, and DO have your gun serviced regularly.<br /> <br />10. Learn the mechanical and handling characteristics of the firearm you are using. Do not use any firearm that you have not had adult instruction in handling. <br /><br />And have good, clean, SAFE fun :cool:

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I agree with you all. I treat all guns as if they are loaded, same thing I teach the kids.<br /><br />I always carry rifles and shotguns unchambered, just to make sure.<br /><br />One of my dads friends shot his transmission out with a deer rifle cause he thought it wasnt loaded when he got in the truck. Oops!<br /><br />Ken

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

I like Jeff Coopers 4 rules-Short & to the point<br /><br />All guns are always loaded(& treated that way)<br /><br />Never point your gun at anything you aren't willing to be destroyed.<br /> <br />Be sure of your target & what's beyond it.<br /> <br />Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire the gun.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

SW said; "Any gun should be handled as if loaded and ready to fire at all times"<br />amen brother!