Edelbrock 1409 tuning

ddbyrd3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes it absolutely helped whenever you increase air volume in the Plenum you have to richin the mixture. The one thing I’ve learned over the years as you can have two identically built motors and they behave completely different. But it took a lot of trial and error. Also boats are intended to run rich I know a lot of people try to leave them out but they’re under load constantly I find that a light brown to dark brown spark plug is a lot more efficient on my boat and it eliminates the hard start issue.

406Maverick

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for all the responses everyone! So here is where I am at now and the boat is running GREAT! at least the best it has since I have started tweaking it.. no bugs, no hesitation, and will run WOT without any hesitations or lean spots.

4% richer rods and primaries- edelbrock 1451 and 1429

4% richer secondaries- edelbrock 1430

Edelbrock 1468 accelerator pump set at richest setting

Pink step up springs

Fuel pressure at 5.5-6...

Base timing at 11

91 ethanol free fuel

At least for now I am very pleased with how it's running. Jumps up on plane with no bog or hesitation.. plus I like the peace of mind going richer a bit..

ddbyrd3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for all the responses everyone! So here is where I am at now and the boat is running GREAT! at least the best it has since I have started tweaking it.. no bugs, no hesitation, and will run WOT without any hesitations or lean spots.

4% richer rods and primaries- edelbrock 1451 and 1429

4% richer secondaries- edelbrock 1430

Edelbrock 1468 accelerator pump set at richest setting

Pink step up springs

Fuel pressure at 5.5-6...

Base timing at 11

91 ethanol free fuel

At least for now I am very pleased with how it's running. Jumps up on plane with no bog or hesitation.. plus I like the peace of mind going richer a bit..
Awesome... Glad to hear you got it dialed in..

ddbyrd3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Interesting so you think the spacer made it go richer? I just put a 1/2" phenolic spacer under mine for same reason, didnty help hot restarts (open throttle seems to ) and now my plugs look fouled a bit. ...
Scott, adding a spacer does NOT make the engine run richer, actually opposite. It runs leaner. Because you increase the plenum air volume, you have to increase fuel flow.

Once I went 4% richer according to the Edelbrock manual, my hot-starts ended.