Ebay scam

FLATHEAD

Captain
I just got an email that was supposed to be from ebay. It looked like the real deal. Said my account was suspended, I needed to update my personal info. I mean this thing looked real in all aspects of an email from ebay. I knew my account was top notch so I checked it out throughly. I am sure it was a scam. Sent it off to ebay spoof email center. <br /><br />Funny thing is I just sold a motorcycle on ebay friday and the buyer never responded yet?? I am starting to wonder if the two are connected?? Guess I'll find out!!

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Ebay scam

FWIW, my brother is currently experiencing the same thing - sold item, no reply, recieved e-mail from ebay asking for details.<br /><br /> Smells like a scam.<br /><br />Aldo

FLATHEAD

Captain

Yep it sure does! This buyer never asked a question during the auction, that is rare when it comes to motorcycles. He popped in on the last few seconds and bid. I checked his feedback and found that there are 7 negatives, the details are hidden, but the rating still shows. This clown already cost me 60 bucks in insertion fees and final value fees. I am going to have to see about getting a refund on that.

one more cast

Captain

Flathead, The days of trusting your fellow biker are GONE. That is a sad thing. I have had a few encounters with fake auctions on the seller end but never with a buyer (yet).

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Ebay has such waisted potential! They constantly shoot themselves in the cooperate foot, like AOL/Time Warner are fond of doing. But it happens to many firm that become so bloated as to become infirm, (like IBM, Kodak, etc).<br />Scams like this are so easily preventable, it makes me wonder what they are thinking at ebay.

FLATHEAD

Captain

12 Footer I am not sure what ebay can do to prevent it. I have bought lots and sold lots of items on ebay some of them big dollar and this is the first problem I have really encountered. It would be hard if not impossible to stop people from trying to scam on that site. I do think it is ridiculous to let a user keep his feedback hidden from the other users. Sure the negatives show up but they can hide the comments from those that posted the negatives, I mean why even have the feedback if you can hide it?<br /><br />I hear ya OMC. Things used to be different.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

The "need to verify" thing is 100% scam. Just a case where someone is fraudulently trying to get your credit card info. You handled it right, Flathead. I must get a dozen of these some weeks. Yahoo auction and Paypal have scammers doing the same thing to their customers, too. They are clever, even stealing the ebay name as part of their URL. Clue: if they attach something in front of the "Ebay" name on their web address it is probably bogus! The ones I've traced are in Europe where it is harder to prosecute.<br /><br />The deadbeat bidders are most likely entirely unrelated.