Easier to do water pump with outdrive on or off boat. 88 Alpha one

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have the outdrive off the boat and want to do the water pump, is it easier to do it on the boat and just take off the lower or do it with the whole outdrive off? Mercruiser alpha one gen 1. thanks

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Easier to do water pump with outdrive on or off boat. 88 Alpha one

easier off and you should check alot of stuff while it is off. takes 10 min to take off.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Done it both ways, off is WAY easier. I bolted a couple of 2X4s perpendicular to my bench to hold the drive while working on it, worked pretty well, some folks just lay it on the bench. Good luck.

Personally, have done it while just dropping the lower off and... if you have a 2nd person feel this way is very easy. If you have not pulled the entire drive in a while, it is probably good to check the bellows and gimbal while you are there. Otherwise I would do just the lower.... If you have assistance.

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

I already had the whole drive off the boat and split it on top of a trailer I have next to the boat. Everything went great and the new waterpump is in. I also got a chance to sand down both upper and lower for a new paint job. Now for my next question, is it easier to put the drive together and then install it on the boat or do the upper first and then the lower?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

is it easier to put the drive together and then install it on the boat or do the upper first and then the lower?

The HARD part is putting it all back together:D. When you put it all together you can make sure everything is correct (O rings, water tube and shift lever) before you reattach the unit to the boat.