E6RENM Troubleshooting

Tdsmith172

Cadet
Hi folks! I have a somewhat new to me evinrude E6RENM that I’ve been troubleshooting and having a hard time with. I have ruled out spark and fuel as an issue (rebuilt carb & fuel pump & replaced all ignition components with confirmed bright blue spark). The compression values are ~70 in both cylinders with a cold motor but they drop into the high 50s to low 60s with a warm motor. The issue I’m having is that the motor will start up and idle/run great until it warms up then as soon as you try to let it idle it will sputter out and refuse to start until it cools down again. My assumption is that this is a result of expansion with heat and the loss of compression is most likely related to bad gaskets and the resulting poor seal. I pulled the head off and don’t see any scoring or indication that the pistons or rings have failed. Can anyone confirm my suspicions or give me any guidance as to what is likely to be the issue? I appreciate any help you can provide.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Use a piece of glass and emery paper.----Resurface the cylinder head and install with a new gasket.----All 1992 cylinder heads are warped.----You have replaced the water pump impeller ?----Outboards need a new impeller about every 5 years.

Tdsmith172

Cadet
Use a piece of glass and emery paper.----Resurface the cylinder head and install with a new gasket.----All 1992 cylinder heads are warped.----You have replaced the water pump impeller ?----Outboards need a new impeller about every 5 years.
Would a full teardown and replacement of the power head gaskets and crankcase seals be overly ambitious or should I just resurface and replace the head gasket? And yes I replaced the impeller and lower unit oil when I first picked the outboard up.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
See how much the head is warped first.----Post picture of head after a few swipes on emery paper.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Trueing up the head and installing a new head gasket is WAY less work than an entire teardown, sooo... easily worth the time and effort.

Watch the start of this video to see how easy it is....there's many videos online.

Last edited:

Tdsmith172

Cadet
See how much the head is warped first.----Post picture of head after a few swipes on emery paper.
As I’ve come to see quite often, you know your stuff racer. When I took a straight edge to it the head was warped all to hell. I broke out some 220 grit and got to resurfacing it and about an hour later everything is straight and true. Waiting on a sierra head gasket that should be arriving Monday or Tuesday.

Attachments

• IMG_3555.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 9