e-tech failures ?

NOSLEEP

Commander
Re: e-tech failures ?

Mines a Gem. I've run her hard and long.<br />Not a single problem last season or this season.

olm

Seaman

thanks nosleep. that is what everyone says. I must have the only on that has had castistrofic failure. I dont know if it was caused by the dealer programing the motor for e-tech oil and putting in xd50 oil. or just bad luck. but it fried itself. Bomb sent techs and replaced it.<br />was just asking to see if others have had any problems.

NOSLEEP

Commander

olm thats a bummer. This is the first problem that<br />I have read or heard about of this nature.<br />I am sure Bombardier will be looking after you.<br />You know in the bigger picture they are just<br />machines made of metal and plastic and even under<br />the best intentions they can let us down.<br />I would not be of concern if I was in your shoes.<br />The E-tec is proving to be a leading choice in the<br />marine industry.<br />Keep your stick up.

CATransplant

Admiral

On the other hand, look on the bright side. You have a new outboard. There can be problems with individual outboards from any manufacturer. Bomardier apparently is standing behind theirs.

BillP

Captain

olm,<br />It sounds like yours was the exception and Bombardier stepped up to the plate to make it right. Can you give us more details on how this was handled by them. Did they find out for sure what the problem was and relate it to you? Did you have to stomp and scream to resolve this or did they give professional service and fast response? <br /><br />If you were rating their "customer satisfaction" between 1 (worst) & 10 (best), what would you give them? Can you explain why?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Bill P.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Also, did they hold your hand and whisper into your ear, over and over again, " it's only a bad dream"?

olm

Seaman

well Bonb did it right replaced the motor ran all weekend no problems. I must admit they really went the extra mile to get me back on the water. the motor failed on a saturday and I was boating the next saturday. The shop also had alot to do with it, those guys at keys ship shape marine are awsome. So far from what i have heard that this is the first one to go like that, I hope to find out what did it but I doubt I will ever know. I have to Give Bombardier a 10+ & Keys ship shape marine 11+. :D :D :D

olm

Seaman

One more thing that made the whole thing a bit better. this weekend I saw two different boats with verados running with one motor tilted up. (not running) that was my other choice when deciding on the e-tech.

olm

Seaman

nope, chuging water just like I was the weekend before. one running & one up. They were not trolling where I saw them. Maybe they were just saving on fuel?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Saving fuel? Hummmm......<br /><br />Lets see...a guy spends that much on a pair of those things and obviously has a very nice boat to put them on and then is tring to save pennies on fuel?<br /><br />One of 2 things happened --<br />1- They found out that plan doesnt work or,<br />2- They found out that motor doesnt work.<br /><br />I'd bet those folks were smart enough to already know #1.

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just down to my local dealer who has yam, BRP, Merc...getting clamps and new fuel line.for my <br />Rude issues..two guys were in there rasing a stink...both had bought matching boats and matching verado's 250's if i recall...both were dead in the water one said he had 32 hrs on his the other said he had 47 hrs....they were both stomping up and down mad talking to the owner and bad mouthing merc and the dealer for selling him the motor he requested....the owner told him while i was standing there he would take care of them both...and made a snide remark while they had been making a scene to other customer..that they should have just bought the E-Tec like he had advised them and they would still be fishing not there complaining ....i Laughed out loud and all three turned and looked at me the two unfortuneate souls looked at me as if i had offeneded them but it was too funny to hold in ...after all the stink they had made while the owner was trying to take care of them they didn't want to hear it was going to be fixed they were pissed that they were even there in the first place... just thought I would share

Trophy23

Seaman

I see the Evinrude Etec failure link has now turned into a "lets bash Merc and the Verado" forum. Guess you need comfort in knowing others have problems too. Who the heck would ever buy a motor from a dealer selling both and recommending Etec anyway?? :rolleyes:

Trophy23

Seaman

I honestly am seeing the same main cause for failure here -what it seems most Verado and Etec faiures seem to stem from. Lack of proper dealer setup. Seems some go to school, learn how to install the motors properly, then don't do it at their dealership. My dealer did an awful rigging job for the thousands I paid and to boot over serviced the oil by a quart - an obvious failure to follow procedures in the servicing manual. electronic modules and yards of cables all left un secured. Disaster waiting to happen. I'd be hopping mad at my dealer too if he causes my motor to fail due to his careless rigging/setup. Merc and Evinrude probably won't say what cause is, but you will usually see a maintenance post by them shortly afterwards 'to check this or do that', which is a big clue.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Lack of proper dealer set up?? Dont think thats linked strictly to todays motors. Thats been the #1 problem since I can remember.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Set up? We just normally set the crate on the stern and say good luck.

olm

Seaman

trophy23, as far as I am concerend I am not bashing merc, I just referenced to the fact that e-tech & verados were what I had come to in My own choice for motors. I have been told that mine is the first failure of this type for an e-tech and for the most part the jury is still out on what caused it, it could be the wrong oil put in by the dealers 8.00 per hour guy. however we are starting to hear of a few more Merc failures localy & on this post. Take from that what you want.

gss036

Commander

After reading the above post about the Verado's tilted, I saw a CoastGuard Aux Whaler at the harbor this AM while doing my walk, one engine up, the other down?? Wonder why? They normally have them both up, but they do not totally clear the water though, no room to tilt up totally and the 24-25' boat does set about 4-5 inches too low in the stern as water is over the drain holes in the splash well.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by olm:<br /> I have been told that mine is the first failure of this type for an e-tech
Your sadly mistaken if beleive that hog wash.<br /><br />So now not only is the E-Tec the greatest thing since the holy grale it has only had one malfuntion in it's history....ROTFLMAO.