E-TEC How it Works ...

BillP

Captain
Re: E-TEC How it Works ...

Originally posted by Scali:<br /> <br />90 % of the SKA tournament boats in Florida are being rigged with them.
On the otherhand, we are seeing large numbers of guides in Florida converting from Merc & Yamaha to Etec. I'm not sure if it means they are better or if the Bomb gave better deals. My gut feel is they gave better deals but it IS a good test bed anyway.<br /><br />There are also big numbers of Etecs showing up at local launch ramps here. Even the small commercial crabbers are using them. Fewer Mercs around these days but Yamaha seems to be holding their own. The tide may be changing, who knows?

phatmanmike

Captain

ill have to second what billp says, and question what scali says.<br /><br />ive been insouth florida for 30 years, none of the commercial guys run mercs that ive seen locally, or even the sposored fishing guys . ive seen a few flats guide boats with them, but mostly i see the commercial guys with yamahas. bare none. <br /><br />as for the kingfish people, they mostly have yamahas, but more and more etecs are showing up.<br /><br />i rarely see and prtofesional, kingfish, or crabbers with mercs at all.<br /><br />im not telling you what that means, just what ive seen.<br /><br />and by the way, i havent seen ANYBODY yet with a verado. except the local demo boat giving people rides around the ft.desoto area one day, but thats the only one ive.<br /><br />(bad idea in my opinion, bigger, heavier, more moving parts, and gas guzzles too?!?!?!?!)<br /><br />peace<br /><br />mike

Scali

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your not going to see Verado's on crab boats & small skiffs.<br />The information I got it from my 80 yr. old Dad & other family members who live down there & follow these tournaments closely, also do a search @ thehulltruth.com .<br />They are the popular choice on the big Contenders, Regulators & Intrepids right now .<br />The 300 Yammie HDPI is having it's share of problems to say the least.<br />Sure once the 250 E Tecs come out it'll be a different story, because they do seem to be the real deal.<br />I've got a theory, if this Verado with all it's faults { weight, so so milage, more moving parts, yada yada yada } turn out to be a super dependable outboard { as they seem to be }<br />People will stay loyal to Merc & buy them up @ least the Merc fans will. <br />I seem to be making the same point every week & I apologize but I like to stay optimistic about Mercs future being a great name in American outboard motors we all grew up with.

tommays

Admiral

i think there first big mistake is going 3 years with no shop time <br /><br />we all no that 3 years in saltwater with out some bolts comeing in and out and cleaned and lubed leads to a motor that doesent come apart without something breaking<br /><br />how many people want to go offshore with a water pump on its 3rd season<br /><br />tommays

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Glad to see that Brunswick is doing well ... THIS quarter. I'm talking the long haul. Down the road. Who's motor is going to still be running 20 years from now? I see Merc going back down that Thoroughbred route like the towers. But they're going to be Maintenance Hogs. Heck, I LOVE Merc. As long as they make them, I'll have plenty of work. Call it Job Security. Long Live Merc! But I'd buy most anything else for myself. E-tec would be my first choice.