E-TEC How it Works ...

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just wanted to start this thread to discuss the new thoroughbred the E-Tec...anyway<br /><br />I've asked my local dealer what is different about the E-Tec he says not much just beefier components and new style injector....but I don't think he's right...if that was all that was different...we wouldn't be seeing awards and words like paradigm .....anyway ...as I understand the way the motor works is like this...please tell me if I’m wrong <br /><br /><br />1 gas and gas is only introduced to the top portion of the cylinder not he whole crank case like other 2-stroke designs...<br /><br />2. oil is not mixed with the gas but delivered to the crank case separately which will lubricate and then be burned off upon entering the combustion area ...<br /><br /><br />To me this sounds like more than just a better injector around the same old engine...but what do I know…. Just wanted someone with better knowledge of the new E-Tec's to help me understand this....<br /><br /> :) :cool: :rolleyes: :confused: :D :D :D

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: E-TEC How it Works ...

e- tec differences then what d.i. (ficht) optimax hpdi carb 2 stroke 4-stoke?<br />a few differences (go to evinrude.com for better info) stronger pistons bigger bearings different injectors a lot less wires easier to own no dealer maintence for three years 300hrs no belts chains or valves to adjust lower emmission (cleanest outboard made) e-tec has won more awards then any other outboard ever!<br />i'am not sure what your asking

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Interesting announcement from BRP ... They're dumping all 4-strokes above 40Hp for 2006. All E-tecs. Direct Injection done right! I still think the Ficht system was the best DFI on the market when it came out, at least conceptually. E-tec just takes that to the next level. And Merc is countering with Verado? Ha! There's no way they'll be able to compete weightwise or pricewise. Merc is in Deep S...! Especially after the pending ugly divorce with Yamaha. I wouldn't buy stock in Brunswick right now. The only thing keeping Merc going is bowling balls and pool tables. :(

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

no-one will cheer louder then me when (if) brp annouces dumping of all the 4-strokes rather then just the big fridges the've been selling .<br />i,m very optomistic of small e-tec engines coming out soon :D

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

MM1,<br /> I don't know what is small to you, but BRP says the e-tec will span 40-250 hp in the fall of 2005. Is Johnson no long a play in this engine game?

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

marinemech..<br /><br />what my dealer said was the E-Tec is just Ficht with beefier parts and new injector.. I'm pulling for rude....i've always been a johnnyrude fan....had one merc tower of power and it was a maintenance hog...it got to the point it was spending more time at the boat shop than in the water it left me stranded 6 miles offshore....if i had had a way to remove it it would still be there "6 miles of shore" :mad: . that was my first and last experience with merc....i'm sure if it had been a good motor i wouldn't feel so negative about them but it's like getting food poisoning from bad chicken...chicken just doesn't seem so appetizing after that :( …and the JohnnyRudes seem so much easier to work on…IMHO<br /><br />anyway sorry i got off on a tangentback to the subject<br /><br /><br />From what i see the technology and oil delivery is different than FICHT...I'm just trying to grasp the technology..I feel better about buying a product that I understand...Plus It's fun to hear what others are thinking about them..just my $0.02

tommays

Admiral

i dont understand it compleatly but it seams the oil is handled more like a 4 stroke and NOT burnt or very littel outherwise it would still be putting nasty things into the water and not be the cleanest motor ever made<br /><br />tommays

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

An E-Tec is a refined FICHT DFI. A lot of improvements, but for the most part, not brand new technology. So far, everyone who own's one thinks they are great. They probably are, but only time will tell. There is a great deal of hype about them, just like their was on FICHT, HPDI and OPTIMAX. It is in BRP's interest to sell it as a new design due to the bad press on the FICHT. Would anyone want to buy an engine that was advertised as " Buy an E-TEC, it used to be a FICHT, now they don't blow up"? They think they have solved the injector problem, they have made improvements to the mechanical components, they run clean and they have a good warranty. What's not to like?

Paul Moir

Admiral

They probably are, but only time will tell.
They had better. If they're dropping 4-strokes, it looks like they bet the farm on them!<br />I'm with DEIFan here though, there doesn't seem to be much technical information out there beyond the usual marketing pap. Frankly I'm surprised - I would have guessed that providing tonnes of technical info would bolster their product, given the sorts (I imagine) who are buying them.

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not saying I don't like them I do, I’m just trying to educate myself on the new design....I'll have a johnnyrude till I die if it's up to me....So the FICHT motor did inject the oil into the crank case and gas into the cylinder…or am I missing something…please be patient with my ignorance of the FICHT and E-TEC ….I’m just trying to learn..

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

I think Internetoutboards was right on with the rational behind the Bombardier marketing plan. While I think the E-tec appears to be a good motor, it is just evolutionary improvements in the same old 2 stroke that everybody knows. The "old" 2-strokes' weak points, fuel efficiency, exhaust emissions, and noise, appear to have been significantly improved. The oil is still injected into the crankcase although they seem to have made improvements in how it is recylced so the engine may use less than the "old" 2-stroke. But it's not a wet sump crankcase like a 4-stroke, and air is still flowing through the crankcase and into the cylinders just like the "old" 2stroke. The Etec direct injection uses a better more responsive and more reliable injector technology. Direct injection engines have lower emissions and better fuel efficiency than normally aspirated port driven fuel systems. They also seem to have spent some design energy on making the Etec quieter. <br /><br />I would like nothing better than for the Etec to turn out to be a viable competitor to 4-strokes. If you can get lower emissions, better fuel efficiency, and the same or better power, and be able to carry on a conversation with a simpler machine why wouldn't you. But as everybody has said above time will tell.

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In searching through E's site i found this which is a video describing AutoLube Auto Lube ...did the FICHT inject the oil and gas separate from each other..??? gas into cylinder and oil into crank case...

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

here is a perss release i just found on brp's site about completeing their stable....<br /><br />BRP launches an all Evinrude® E-TEC line-up<br /><br /><br />Valcourt, Québec, April 27, 2005 - Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. (BRP) introduces its 2006 line-up with the expansion of its Evinrude® E-TECTM outboard engine line-up. The 115-hp 60-degree V4 E-TEC is now joined by a 130-hp engine and, a 60-degree V6 platform will be available in 150, 175, and 200-hp. As of fall 2005, the Evinrude E-TEC line-up will go from 40 through 250 hp.

Scali

Petty Officer 1st Class

Even the FICHT, OPTIMAX & HDPI motors are reliable now that they got the bugs out, it stands to reason that now this technology is proven these new E Tecs should be as reliable as they are being touted ..

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't see anything revolutionary in the ETEC.<br /><br />As near as I can tell the big breakthrough is that it is the first engine designed from scratch to be direct injected (like the Ficht, Opti, HPDI, etc.), oil injected and computer controlled, like many other engines.<br /><br />Previous Computer controlled DFI engines look to me like they were adapted from engines designed to run on carbs. They didn't take full advantage of what DFI and computers can do for a 2 stroke. Sort of like GM's attempt to make Diesels by adapting gas V8s back in the 80s. Boy, was that a disaster! I think the Ficht and Optimax came close to being major disasters, too.

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

DEIFan: its been said e-tec a redesigned ficht actually its the next generation d.i. 2- stroke kinda like point ignition to cdi.<br />oil is injected into crankcase and fuel into cylinder a small amount of oil goes in fuel ahead of injectors too help keep them clean<br /> a ficht motor has a lot of external sensors and wiring where an e-tec does not have as much clutter less wiring =less problems<br />the injectors are different they work similar to stereo speakers because of this they are capable of much higher rpm and horsepower per cylinder hmmmm outboards are relativly low reving compared with oh say a snowmobile.<br />the system is compact works without a battery and is adaptable to low horse power motors hmmmm a 9.9 e-tec?<br />the computer (emm) is smaller but much more powerful then ficht not sure about latest evinrudes<br />as for runability we rent them out (40 75 and 90 h.p.), and have sold quite a few and have had exactly zero problems <br /><br />the e-tec is more refined and better tuned then ficht were..... clean even better then ficht<br />quite depends on model comparison sometimes marginal quiter then 4-stroke sometimes marginally louder<br />dependable three years zero maintence no belts chains or vales to adjust<br /><br />i'am starting to sound like an e-tec commercial my best advice is to visit a dealer on the water and see for yourself :D

orca

Chief Petty Officer

Quote WillieBWright <br /><br />Merc is in Deep S...! Especially after the pending ugly divorce with Yamaha. I wouldn't buy stock in Brunswick right now. The only thing keeping Merc going is bowling balls and pool tables<br />___________________________________________________<br /><br />Willie, before making a statement you should really get you facts right.<br />Fact. Brunswick increased their earnings by 94.6M last quarter.<br />Fact. Earnings were up 26%<br />Fact. Sales in the marine and boat division rose 21%, overall sales rose 17%<br />Fact. I would love to have shares in Brunswick, they have just risen in value by $0.96.<br /><br />Sure, Evinrude make a good product. however Mercury also have a good range of motors. Just make sure that your facts are correct before putting your foot in your mouth.

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

i totally agree with whaley (don't know about sales numbers etc.) but if mercury didn't make a good product they would not be around<br />personnally i like omc/bombardier motors but then again i work for a dealer and have been trained on how to service them.<br />i would however not buy one just because its a merc yammy or anything else

Scali

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with Whaley too about Merc.<br />The fact is the Verado's are selling like hotcakes & have been very reliable.<br />90 % of the SKA tournament boats in Florida are being rigged with them. Merc has gone through a rebirth of sorts.<br />I'm not trying to turn this into a Verado thread, just wanted to add these facts.<br />Great link KHC1970..<br />It seems to me it's the computer that makes the E tec much better then the FICHTS, Optis, ect..<br />It'll be interesting how the 250 HP's and other bigger models do after being thrashed for a few years on the back of these big center consoles..