E-TEC 25 (or Merc 25 efi) + 14' Aluminum

esobofh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a Crestliner XCR 1462V - it's a 14' aluminum (actually 13'8") and is listed as weighing 140 lbs.

I am 250lbs, and usually travel with my wife, + kid + friend(s) + gear.

I would say my total weight is around ~900 lbs.

When i am boating light, say, me and my wife (total load, 410lbs) - my 7.5 hp merc puts the boat on plane, and has us travelling around 25 kmh.

When we load any more than that, we kinda just mush around at about 12 kmh. Generally, I am more loaded with friends, kids, gear, crab traps, rods etc. And I want the boat up on plane with that load.

The boat is rated for a max 25hp, but i was thinking a 20hp would do me fine.

A merc/tohatsu/nissan 20 is ~115 lb, and I beleive my 7.5 is ~80 lbs. Would the additional 13 hp be enough to plane with my full load?

I've also been going down fantasy road, and looking at the 25 EFI, with all the bells and whistles (electric start, trim, lift etc.) this motor is 157lbs. I've also got a line on a very good deal for the E-TEC 25 which is 146 lbs.

Now the real question - would putting that much weight on the boat be crazy? if you had your choice, would you go e-tec 25 (rope pole, no electric start) or the 25 efi merc with all the bells and whistles?

Last edited:

gss036

Commander
Re: E-TEC 25 (or Merc 25 efi) + 14' Aluminum

1st off, what are you using to measure your speed? The speed for the 7.5 hp seems high. With the much weight, go to max hp if possible. I don't think there is a 20 hp E-Tec at present.
Looks like you have done your home work, now for the choice. I would think eventually you will want to go to a larger boat, so keep that in mind.

esobofh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That was my thinking.. that speed was ridiculously fast for a 7.5 - i'm tracking on a GPS, in two directions, averaged.

Alot of people don't believe me, all I can say is: light boat maybe? At 140 lbs the crestliner is big and wide, and very easy to plane.

See for yourself.

That said, there were rumours that merc was rebadging 9.8s as 7.5s in the same year as mine, as they had run out of the components to build 7.5s - i tested this out with an identical year 9.8 (although it was a long shaft) and it ran 3kmh faster. So I'm guessing it's not a special 7.5

Back to topic though,

Yes, future considerations were one of my concerns, and while a 20 would likely do me just fine now, i thought the 25 would be the cat's a*s!

I'm just confused as to why the e-tec are supposedly lighther than 4 strokes, but in the case of the merc/nissan/tohatsu 25 efi, they are the same, and less well equipped. Hoping to hear from some e-tec people to understand if they are in love with the fuel economy and overall performance of the e-tec.

WallyLooker

Recruit

Be careful with your motor weights. The E-TEC is probably right since you are looking at a manual start. However the 157 lbs for the Mercury is for the lightest model (15" shaft and manual start). I believe with eclectic start and trim and tilt the Mercury is 187 lbs.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The T/N/M, electric start and trim, is 182 in a tiller and 179 in a remote. Honestly I don't think it makes a difference which one you go with. Fuel economy, hole shot and top end are all going to be about the same amongst these. In this case I think the overriding factors would be the local dealer and price.

coolguy147

Commander

etec i think would be nice

they claim no service every 3 years no break in. lots of other good things.

only thing i can say is that they r a bit pricey

hot-dog

Cadet

that boat looks like its plenty strong for a 25, maybe even a 30 or 35 imo. btw, thats some pretty impressive numbers for a 7.5...

i would go e-tech.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I would go with the etec.It's no service for 3 years or 300 hours.
Service intervals are fewer and less complicated than a 4 stroke.
A 25 will push a heavy load faster on a nice big bare bones 16.
My old 25 Sea King would plane 6 adults easily on a bare bones 18ft Crestliner.(375lbs) 12gal gas (steal tanks),120lb motor.I figure close to 1600 lbs Boat, motor gas,people and gear.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

This is my fifth season with my 50hp Etec and I love the thing.
Mine is elec start so don't know how that relates to rope start but it starts instantly every time. (even first start after winter).

superjay

Cadet

What about a yamaha 20 or 25 hp, they still make them in a 2 stroke they are usually priced about 1000 cheaper then a comparable 4 stroke are lighter and reliable as can be....