dyno

kannuki

Seaman
I found a dealer that will do a compression check, spark test, and put it on the dyno for 65.00& is that too much does it sound right or should i find another dealer?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: dyno

That's not too bad, when you figure shop labor at ~ $75/hr plus specialized equipment utilization. Not all shop have a dyno, a pretty expensive device.

kannuki

Seaman

im checking cause my # 3 cylinder is noy firing but i have spark to it so the only other thing i can think of is a blown head gasket thats why i want a compression test

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

Maybe I'm just weird but I can't fathom the idea of paying someone to do a compression test when a compression gauge and sparkplug wrench might put you out $25. A decent manual is another $20-$25 and a cool beer is less than a dollar.

kannuki

Seaman

yea but im completely dumb when it comes to outboard motors this being my first one. and im not certain that i have a blown head gasket or not so hence why i want a spark test as well and running it on a dyno since dyno are too expensive for me to buy one for myself.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Randy is right, Kannuki. All it takes is a 25 dollar gauge. And this same gauge will werk on your car, lawnmower, weedeater, Hp washer, and anything else powered by gas.<br />You can do a compression test whenever you change the plugs,and kill two birdz with one rock.<br />Dynos are rare, and won't tell you much.<br />Compression test, spark test, primer bulb test, and you'll probably find the problem.

kannuki

Seaman

ok primer bulb is good how do i do a spark test on it?<br />The porblem i have is that the # 3 spark plus is cated with oil but if i take it out of the cylender and hold it next to the motor i have spark so what could be the problem?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Now is when you need to check the compression! If you have spark, check compression next! Good Luck,

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Go to Search at the top of the page and enter "Low compression." Sit back and soak up all the good tips.