dust cap keeps falling off the hub

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: dust cap keeps falling off the hub

Would post what the bearing compaies recamend how full a roller bearing should be with grease, it's in the book. Oil is the best lube for roller bearings, while grease is the best for plain bearings. Hope you have set you bearings with the proper clearance when you tightened them down. Oh will say if you overfill you bearings with grease they become a grease pump.

BF

Lieutenant

As someone else said, I think you're buying the wrong sized ones. There are a few sizes that are subtly different.

j.a.g

Seaman

I have measured them with a digital caliper and they measured close to 1.968. The dust caps from napa say 2" and the bearing buddies that I tried are 1.968.

j.a.g

Seaman

I am not sure how tight or loose the bearings are but I tightened the nut down then backed it off until the cotter pin would fit and the wheel would spin freely with no wobble in the wheel.

Kiggsia

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had the same problem. My solution was simple although a bit tacky looking. I used the soft vinyl dust caps that just slide over the bearing buddy and clamped them down with radiator hose clamps!

j.a.g

Seaman

I think I found the problem. I jacked the trailer up and spun the wheels and the hubs were loose. I don't know how it happened when I replaced the bearings and reinstalled the hub I tightened the nut and backed it off until the cotter pin would fit like mentioned above. i am going on a short trip with the boat on Sunday so I will see if this solved the problem.