Duratech - over 50,000 made but not represented here

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Duratech (1950 - 1965) made high quality aluminum utility fishing and runabout boats for 15 years. They manufactured well over 50,000 units, many of which are still afloat. The man who began the company (Roy Moss) is now 86 years old. I believe Duratech ought to be represented here on the largest boat related website. I have a 16 foot 1963 Duratech Neptune runabout, I would not trade it for any boat of it's type. Here is the current day website presence: www.duratechboats.com

Thanks,

"imported_JoeMan" :-D
(formerly JoeMan)

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Duratech - over 50,000 made but not represented here

Ya what is with Duratech? I have a 17 foot Duratech Orion. It does 35 miles an hour with a 50 horse rudy.
We should represent the duratech.It is the main landing craft used in the Bay Of Pigs incident.

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you had her out yet this spring? I'd still love to see a pic when you can! It belongs in the Duratech gallery! :-D
duratech@duratechboats.com

MuskyHunterDave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Duratech - over 50,000 made but not represented - Mine is a Comanche

Re: Duratech - over 50,000 made but not represented - Mine is a Comanche

Hello. . . . All

I AGREE . . . WE need a Duratech section on here, and I posted that to the proper forum as well.

Here is my story . . . . . .

I have been searching for YEARS trying to identify my baby, and today I finally nailed her down.

Thanks to diligent hours of searching I have, beyond the shadow of a doubt, concluded she is a Duratech Comanche.

I was almost convinced by a local retired crestliner employee that it was a special order crestliner, but alas he was wrong.

She has had a "on going" restoration since I bought her in the early 90's. The rear grab bars where removed, the side panels where shortened, but I have two pieces of diamond plate ready to replace them, and install new side windows next spring. Right after I bought her I stripped her to the bar hull, re-did about 50 rivets then installed a new 8 ply marine plywood deck with tons of compartments. I have repainted her twice, built the full stand up canvas cover myself, widened the front center access in the lower window, diamond plated the bow, installed a Perfect fit GLASS upper windshield (installed after below pictures), and a window wiper is going on next spring as I fish in very fowl weather sometimes. Also as you can see I am slowly accenting it throughout with diamond plate. Built a new bunk trailer for it early on with the help of a friend from Easy-Loader . . . Thanks Rick

Originally came with twin Evinrude 40's and when they ran good the thing could throw you out the back, but have since upgraded to a 91 Evinrude v4 90hp with Power tilt. I have a electric bow mount for fishing / pitching, and I run it from the removable seat on the hard top. I am primarily a Tiger Musky fisherman anymore, and being up there is like tarpon fishing the flats as you can see everything. Always fun to tell a friend out with me when he is going to get a hit before it happens

I would love to find out any info on these duratech comanche's as well as any and all pictures.

There was a lot of info on the duratech webpage, but not a lot on the Comanche, so if you have any info I would surely appreciate it!!

Here are some pictures for you all to enjoy.
my%20boat%20Post%20pics%2010.JPG
my%20boat%20Post%20pics%2012.jpg

my%20boat%20Post%20pics%2013.jpg

my%20boat%20Post%20pics%2014.jpg

my%20boat%20Post%20pics%2011.jpg

my%20boat%20Post%20pics%2016.JPG

mthieme

Captain

Uh, oh.
The gang has been unchained and is becoming mutinous!
:D

getinmerry

Petty Officer 1st Class

There are still a lot of Duratech tinnys out there. I have a 12' (1954) that has been handed down through the family over the years. It has never seen a garage and sits on the shore 365 days a year upside down in Western New York Weather. It doesn't leak and never has. I use mine in the spring and fall when the big boat is out of he water for the year.

Here in WNY, I see quite a few of them still in use. They are very solid, stable, and well-built boats. I drag mine on shore over large rocks and a concrete breakwall. The bottom is all scratched up, but no large dents and still no punctures or leaks. It's really a tribute to good materials and workmanship.

Just a side note- I proposed to my wife in the Duratech 15 years ago. The best day of my life was spent in that boat!

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just a side note- I proposed to my wife in the Duratech 15 years ago. The best day of my life was spent in that boat!

How cool of a story that is!

Thanks iBoats for this Duratech section. More folks will gradually post here as well as visit the Duratech site as time goes on. As is the case with many others...I looked and looked online for Duratech info for a long time (prior to the Duratech site launch in '06), and nary a shred of info on these boats was to be found. Toughest lummie runabouts anywhere. After all, Roy Moss was an engineer of aircraft parts for years prior to founding Duratech in 1950.

MuskyHunterDave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I sure am glad, and another big "thanks joe" is in oreder here, for the Iboats Duratech forum.

Glad to have the presence, and I am sure this forum will evolve nicely to be filled with information on these great old boats, and a way for fellow Duratech owners to meet / stay in touch.

THANKS AGAIN JOE FOR ALL YOU DO for us Duratech owners !!

Dave

MuskyHunterDave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes VERY COOL story, that was also a very smart move !!

Now, as a result, She will NEVER ask you to sell that boat LOL

Dave