Duranautic Leak Issue

Papa Doc

Recruit
Long live the Duranautic. I have a 1980 Duranatic Offshore 14' and I am fixing it up for my grandson. Everything has been going fine but I did a leak test (filled boat with water, etc.) and I have some leaks. The problem I encountered is difficult to resolve. The rivets in my boat go through the hull "and" through the sides of the long structural channel supports on the underside of the hull that go the length of the boat. If the water leaks out through a rivet in the floor and doesnt leak out of the bottom of the rivet hole in the channel, it can run the full lenght of the channel support. I think the only way to identify the leaks is to put the boat is the water and see where it comes up through the floor. Any ideas?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Not a lot of activity over here in the Duranautic forum. You'd likely get more help over in the resto forum. Post here that you'd like this moved and any mod can move it for you.

It is wholly up to you whether it gets moved or not.

Often, after leaking rivets are id'd, most rebuck or replace them, then coat the interior seams and rivets w/ GluvIt or Coat-It. They are epoxy based products and not UV stable, so after coating the rivets and seams, it must be painted or covered by a deck (floor). If you dip the new rivet in some 3M 5200 before you install it, or re-buck the rivet, it may fix the leak. Most back up the leak prevention/cure w/ the GluvIt to help ensure it's fixed the leak and stays that way.

Lots of leak repairs and rivet removal/replacement going on in the tin boats found in the Starcraft forum, take a look.

Good luck and welcome to iboats

Papa Doc

Recruit
Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to put the boat in water and see where the water comes up through the rivets. Then I will work to match the rivet on the underside and address the damaged rivets. When I finally get it water tight, I am going to Gluvit. Thanks for addressing my .