DuraFix

ssbullock

Cadet
Hey everyone, I recently finished stripping my boat free of all the paint.We have removed many of the accessories and the stock seat mounts etc. This has lead to maybe a dozen holes which are from the original rivets. I know lots of people recommend using rivets or bolts with some m3 52000. But I was searching around and found durafix. Im wondering if anyone has any experience with this as it seems to be perfect to fix the wholes without having extra bolts or rivets. Also we are considering using a tig to weld/fill the holes. Any reviews on the durafix would be great as it seems to be easy etc. As well I am wondering if I would have to worry about any corrosion of it as we are leaving the boat bare aluminum?
Thanks for any help.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: DuraFix

Get it welded by a pro. Not many people here are going to risk ruining their hull with a torch.

ssbullock

Cadet

I am lucky enough to have been welding 3yrs myself, everything from gas, stick, mig and tig. Mainly just as a hobby doing some small projects etc. As well as doing lots of instructed hours (enough to write off a 1st yr journyman) and aside from that I have 2pro's each with over 20yrs experience to help me with anything I need. I was just wondering about the product mainly. Comparing welding to brazing. It is pretty clear that tig'ing the holes would by far be the best. I was wondering just how brazing would hold up as it would be easier then having to pull the boat into the shop etc.

I am thinking I will give the brazing a shot on a hole on the cap of the boat where im going to be cutting to put a pedestal anyway and see how it turns out. worst case scenerio I burn out the one hole and then have to take it in and tig everything properly.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

We had had some horror stories for feedback about durafix... people with no welding skills burning good size holes and not ending up with a sound repair.

If I had a spool gun I would not hesitate to use it and not look back

ssbullock

Cadet

Well I will give it a try and post how it works out in my build thread. And let everyone know how everything goes. I'll post some pics of the proccess as well.