FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I have a 2000 volvo duoprop and the props turn tight by hand in neutral. If I loosen the nut one turn (on the aft prop) they turn freely, but it seems that the nut should be tighter than this . Is it normal for the props to be this tight?
Its a 5.7 with a duoprop (year 2000), DPX I think. I think I found the problem. I removed the aft prop and you can see where the front of the prop is rubbing where it slips inside the fwd prop. There obviously isnt much clearance in there. It seems to me that this wont hurt anything and it'll eventually "wear in" . Opinions?
Since they never used a DPX on the 5.7, I would guess your 2000 would have a DP-S drive.
When you tighten down the outer prop, can you turn them at all? Are these new props?
You do need to have it tightened down, or you will eventually loose the nut and outer prop.
I bought the boat used , but the props look new. Yes, the props will turn with the nut tightened, but they turn hard. I guess if the hubs were installed a little off, it could position the props a little too close together and cause this rubbing. It doesnt appear to be rubbing bad, and it runs fine.