Dunaruna, I just went to St Kilda

QC

Supreme Mariner
I promised that the next time I was down under I would give you some notice. Well I am babysitting my new boss (a POM) and he didn't give me any notice, so I thought I would just quietly sneak in and out and nobody would be the wiser. We spent the day walking around Melbourne and ended up at St. Kilda and I just couldn't keep my mouth shut. Had to say Hi.<br /><br />Watched some guys launching at the marina etc. Is your boat anywhere near there? Beautiful place. I also love Southgate. Staying at the Hyatt on Collins, flying to Sydney Tuesday AM and back to LA on Wednesday.<br /><br />One of these days we'll hook up. I also spent two days in Perth, don't tell Get Reel . . .

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Dunaruna, I just went to St Kilda

StKilda marina was (past tense) my old stomping ground, I used to launch there regularly. I would have enjoyed meeting you and having a beer in one of the cafes in southgate or Aklin Street but unfortunetly I have just returned from our lake (Eildon, about 2 hour away). Maybe next time?<br /><br />Aldo

QC

Supreme Mariner

Definitely next time. What do you say to your boss? I want to hook up with this guy I met on the Internet while I should have been working . . . Sounds a little risky and a lot gay :D

QC

Supreme Mariner

Did I read recently that you have a 40 footer? On a lake?

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by Quietcat:<br /> What do you say to your boss? I want to hook up with this guy I met on the Internet while I should have been working . . . Sounds a little risky and a lot gay :D
I'm flattered, really.<br /><br />But I'm happily married, to a woman. :D <br /><br />You don't work 24/7, do you?

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by Quietcat:<br /> Did I read recently that you have a 40 footer? On a lake?
Yep, a houseboat on lake eildon. It's about 200km northeast of Melbourne. We spend nearly every weekend there. Just returned about 1 hour ago. <br /><br />I live in Croydon, it's a suburb of Melbourne. On the outer east fringes about 30km due east, on the edge of the yarra valley.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I just found Eildon on Google Earth. Awesome lake!!! Yeah, I could absolutely do what I want on the weekend whatever, but I've only worked for him for two months and this is only the second time we've spent any time together. Need to get a little better read on this guy . . . Seems OK, but not sure I want him making ANY conclusions just yet. We love houseboats and that seems like the perfect lake for one. Do you drag a skiboat behind her?<br /><br />
e7fjuh.jpg
<br /><br />This is last year at Lake Mead (my Avatar). Rental, but we do it every couple of years.

Dunaruna

Admiral

I wish I could use google earth (computer is too old) and take a good look at Mead, it looks very similar to eildon. <br /><br />Did you watch the channel nine news tonight, lake eildon was featured. They just finished upgrading the dam wall.<br /><br />We hire housboats every year, it's a great holiday. last year we decided to buy one. It's small, but a solid and well appointed boat. <br /><br />We had a ski/fish boat but had to sell it recently. I am currently looking for a replacement.<br /><br />What do you actually do (work)?<br /><br />PS - just been called for dinner, back in an hour.<br /><br />Aldo

QC

Supreme Mariner

Missed the news . . . We manufacture natural gas fuel systems for heavy duty trucks. We are converting Road Trains in WA and have done 25 semis so far here in Victoria for Murray Goulburn Coop. These units run out of Koroit. Our product is available on the Caterpillar C12 and C15 which MGC has some of both. We end up substituting over 80% of their diesel use. We get a Greenhouse Gas reduction of about 8% and save a bundle of $ on fuel too. Oz is currently our best market, some of our customers are saving over $70K AUD annually per truck. Pretty cool, but very hard to keep all glued together; technology, fuel supply, fuel station etc. etc. etc. I am the General Manager of our Vehicle Systems Department. Basically the main salesman . . .<br /><br />BTW, how is Mrs. Dunaruna doing?

Dunaruna

Admiral

Mrs. Dunaruna is doing well. Still having problems walking but she is improving slowly, it may take 12 - 24 months of physiotherapy before she is 100%. Relaxing on the houseboat is also great therapy - recharge the batteries so to speak.<br /><br />Great job, especially with the travel. Do you get tired of it? Mrs. quiet wouldn't be to happy I imagine.<br /><br />Aldo

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yes, there are good and bad associated with the travel. Mrs. QC has gotten somewhat used to it as well as the kids. In many ways that is the bad part, they are very capable without me home, which is not all that great. I work out of the house when home, so there is a decent balance.<br /><br />Just had dinner in Southbank, the Waterfront. I had not seen the gas/fire show before. Wow!!! Sure love the skyline too. May be the best on the planet. Beautiful.<br /><br />Great news actually on Mrs. Dunaruna. Awesome that she will be 100%. Good luck!!

Dunaruna

Admiral

I don't know about 'best on the planet', but it's pretty good. You have picked a great time of year to visit, spring in melbourne is the best, it's a pity you were not here a couple of weeks ago, we just had our football grand final - this town goes nuts over football. In fact, Western Australia lost, I imagine that your visit to perth was sedated, did you notice everyone frowning :( ?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Actually, the new boss keeps talking about the Cricket, so the football tears haven't been given a chance . . . :D

QC

Supreme Mariner

Flew over Eildon today on the way to Sydney. Much greener around it than Mead and there is no development at Mead other than four marinas. No houses etc. On federal park land. Eildon reminds me more of our Lake Shasta, except Shasta has trees . . .

Dunaruna

Admiral

About 3/4 of the land surrounding Eildon is national parks - no developement. Most of the national park is open to deer hunting/camping/trail walking etc.<br /><br />I don't know what you could see from 30,000 ft but eildon is predominantly surrounded by trees. You sure you wern't looking at lake Hume, that's as bare as a babys bum.<br /><br />There is a section of Eildon that is cleared farm land, towards the western part of the lake, but that is usually dry due to drought. We usually don't think of that area as 'lake' because there has not been water there for nearly 10 years, in fact the local council want to turn the 'lake bed' into a golf course.<br /><br />There are 6 towns (all very small) & 4 marinas. The main town is Eildon, right next to the dam wall. My marina is in Eildon.

Triton II

Commander

Hey QC and Aldo... just got back from Melbourne, had to work over the weekend at the Rod Laver Arena, making sure our boys on their bouncing motorcycles did OK. QC, you in Sydney today?<br /><br />Aldo, I didn't know Mrs D was crook, but glad to hear she'll be OK. :)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yes, I am in Sydney. Leaving for Airport and flight home in an hour. Staying at the Hilton on George St. Ate at Jordans in Darling Harbor last night. Well, I have to say THAT skyline may give Melbourne a run for her money . . . Really couldn't think of anything like it in the US. Maybe Seattle.

Triton II

Commander

Mmm, Jordans... did you have the seafood platter?

QC

Supreme Mariner

No on the platter. Wanted it bad, but I am following new bosses lead this time and the platter is for 2 . . . Looked awesome though.