dull bass boat

SANDERS

Recruit
i was wondering how to make my bass boat shine again. it's a 96 model that sat out for 4 years.

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: dull bass boat

You can do a search in this forum and Im sure you will find many ways to do it and lots of advice from temporary to the final fix. I have found that a good temporary fix is about 4 coats of acrylic floor wax, yep, the stuff you use on the kitchen floor. You would be really surprised at how good it looks, the other choice requires wet sanding and polishing your arms off, or if it is really bad you have to re-clear coat.

LubeDude

Admiral

The vertglas is a fine product, and will last longer, but is a real drag to remove and reapply and quite expensive. As a temp fix, the floor wax is cheap and easy to get off, and will last for a full season. Both are temp fixes, and i vote for the cheap one. Just make sure you use a high traffic acrylic wax. I know it sounds dumb and cheap, but it really does work. Apply with a spong 4" brush, and apply about four coats.

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

JBR,<br />This guy came here for some help. We all know that wet sanding is a pain but it works. Why don't you tell him your method instead of being a wise guy?<br />Maybe he will try it and post his results here for all to see.<br />Just a thought.

Gus Mortimer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi there, looks like not too much real advice so far ;) I have several boats, all of which are or were projects and all of which needed some serious work on the gel coat.<br /> On one of my boats I used starbrite marine polish (among other things) but that starbrite stuff seemed to do the best with okay results.<br /> On my most recent project I have put so much time money and effort into the interior that it now looks new :) so I couldnt just stop with the interior. The ONLY thing that I found to really bring back the shine is wetsanding. I first started on one side with 600 grit, then mooved to 1000, then on to the 1500 grit for the final, follow this with a good swirl mark remover and then a good wax and you will see your smiling face looking back at you from your boat :cool: . READ: this last worked wonders, even removnig scratches from a dock that I thought would NOT come out. HOWEVER the other side of the boat I became impatient (the first side took no less than 5 hours) soo I skiped the 600 and 1000 grit steps and just went for the 1500. change to new paper often and keep a rag in a bucket of water other than the one you are using for the paper, use it to wipe the wet dust off and things will go faster. follow this with a quick swirl mark remover and wax. It WILL look great.<br /> The boat I just did this on had sat for at least 5 years outside and was growing moss and stuff on it when I got it, truly disgusting but now shining.<br /> Good luck and let us know what you do.

johnnybigrigger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No advice is offered on making his boat shine again....I am here to watch and learn like everyone else. I hate to hear my question was considered being a wise guy. The question has been deleted.<br />@-@<br />JBR

Gus Mortimer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh might soung stupid but...wash your boat off good first so you arent rubbing dirt or sand across your gelcoat

johnnybigrigger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Perhaps I do know of a buffing method that makes one look like new without water sanding, or the use of any waxes. The last time I posted it the rest of the group chastised, belittled, and circled the wagons in denouncing any notion that did not conform to their beliefs. So now I just observe.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by Quantumleap:<br /> LubeDude: Is there any product you haven't tried?? :D :D
Yep!! But Im working on it. :D :D :D <br /><br />There are a lot of things I havnt tried, usually because I researched them and found them to be of no use. But if I research and find validity, I will try it. Then if I find the product to be good, I will tell others about it. So, with that said, if I tell you something works, It does, or I wouldnt bother. I do my homework.<br /><br />The next thing Im trying is Militec-1. You will be hearing about it soon.<br /><br /> Militec-1